Minor Works Cert? No part P.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, heating engineer here with no Part P qualification.

I've got a fused spur to run into a loft for new boiler being sited there. Will be run about 4 metres, potentially from a feed currently supplying an immersion heater. Will run in mini trunking in its entirety. I suggest taking it from the immersion feed as an NICEIC qualified & certified electrician on a development I've just fitted a heating system in has done the same thing for me there, installing my fused spur off of the immersion.

The immersion heater is staying put but is rarely used, only if boiler breaks down in future etc.

I can easily run this myself but am concerned about legality of doing so. A colleague has suggested I may be able to do this using a 'minor works certificate', a form which I'm not familiar with. Is this true?

If I am legally able to do this, where can I obtain these forms?

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Legally / technically you can do as you propose without the need to notify, but I hate with a passion supplying anything other than an immersion heater from an immersion supply (Where the heater is still in place)

Forms can be bought from most electrical wholesalers

Or from here. They are the green NICEIC certificates (for use by non approved contractors)

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BKM10.html

you can only issue a minor works certificate if you can do the necesary tests to complete the form.. ( Ie continuity, insulation resistance, earth loop imedance etc.. )

might be an idea to bung your electrician friend a few quid to come test it for you. or to install it for you..

failing that, tell the homeowner that you need a FCU up there and let them fit it.. which means you don't need to test it or to certify it.. and they don't have to notify it as it's adding points to an existing circuit..

In the OSG, guidance is that immersion heaters are to be fed from a dedicated circuit.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys,

I'm not able to do the tests so I can't complete the form. Wasn't sure what content was on it.

I'll see if I can get a decent sparks to do it for me. Not sure if I trust matey boy if he's just signed off something thats incorrect...

the OSG is just that.. a guide..

it even says in the preface that it does not ensure compliance with the regs..

since most immersions will be fed from a 16A breaker with a 13A FCU ( unless it's a big immersion when it would be fed from a 20A breaker via a 20A switch.. ) then he should have a whole 3 Amps to spare.. and since the immersion is made redundant ( as in it's a back up in case the boiler breaks down ) then it's unlikely to be run at the same time as the boiler..

Maybe I'm old school.

In my day, learning the 15th (bearing in mind OSG's were not around then), we were taught that immersions, showers & cookers & other radials feeding heavy loads, were not to feed anything else. I still think that's good practice, even if the OSG is just a guide. We use it as reference & we're afiliated to the ECA, so it can't be that bad.

The immersion will be a 27" 3kw one, standard stuff.

Sorry guys, I have to admit I don't know what the OSG is.

I know another heating engineer with Part P, he is however not registered to issue standalone electrical certification. He can however do the tests, maybe he could issue the minor works cert for me?

Cheers]

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back