Minor Works Certificate question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some questions about part 2 of an NICEIC minor works certificate.

Part 2: Details of the modified circuit
It asks about the RCD type, but what would I put there? I have never noticed any type written on an RCD.
Secondly,where in the regs would you find the: Details of wiring system used to modify circuit? Table 4A2? Or would i just use that table for the reference method?

Any help welcome.

Sponsored Links
It asks for:
(a) Details of wiring system used to modify circuit
(b) Reference method

I have an copy of an already filled out cert but i can't understand why (a) is type A and (b) is type C.
I don't understand why (a) & (b) are 2 different types?
Shouldn't they be the same?

It asks for:
(a) Details of wiring system used to modify circuit
(b) Reference method

I have an copy of an already filled out cert but i can't understand why (a) is type A and (b) is type C.
I don't understand why (a) & (b) are 2 different types?
Shouldn't they be the same?

(a) Cable type - PVC/PVC (twin and earth) for example.

(b) Installation method of cabling. Appendix 4 of BS7671:2008 - table 4A2.

(a) A is normally the code for PVC/PVC cable and (b) C would be reference method C.

Sponsored Links
Type A is an RCD which will operate on AC with a DC pulse, an AC (alternating current) RCD may lock up when subject to DC.

Type C usually refers to the magnetic part of an MCB, so you may have a type A RCD and a type C MCB in an RCBO.

Think they are after the type of wiring system you are using i.e. flat twin and earth, SWA etc, then it's IM but I'm not 100% sure on NICEIC stuff so wait for a 2nd opinion!

Edit, you got your 2nd opinion from garymo ;)

thanks alot guys, i understand the RCD bit now.
but i'm still baffed about (a)
Where in the regs does it give you letters e.g. A, B for the type of cable being used?
I can only find the letters for the reference methods: Table 4A2.

Is it an NICIEC own code thing?

Is there a list on the cert somewhere?

There is a list on the full EIC and you insert the correct letter in the schedule, but on the minor works, you have a longer box to write the type in rather than using letters... so if its twin and earth, just write "PVC/PVC" etc

Did they not teach you how to fill out certificates on your 2391 course? :confused:

surprisingly no...

we spent the best part of 8 weeks going over and over and over basic cable calcs 'cos the thickets couldn't grasp basic maths..

Perhaps you have a better memory than me then (and I must admit mine has been letting me down a bit recently :( :LOL: )

Cant remember op saying anything about 2391.... *goes off to search*

I can't imagine any normal 2391 course using NICEIC own MEIWC certificates, they'll just use the BS7671 ones anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back