Mira Platinum Rear Fed - MIXER PROBLEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have had a problem with the hot water on the combi boiler lately, it's been luke wam. Fitted new Diverter but this didn't solve the problem.

After some more digging I went and isolate the mixer taps in the bathroom, this didn't solve the problem.

But, when I isolated the seperate Hot & Cold feeds to the control unit on the Mira shower the hot water came to life, all and everywhere working hunky dory.

I guess this is where the problem is but am not sure if it's the shower or the cold/hot feed to it and I don't quite know how to find out which.

The isolater valves to the hot and cold shower feeds are now off and the shower not being used obviously. However, I can feel warmth in one of the feed pipes, ( the heating is on but no hot water has been run for a bath a couple of hours prior)

I am kind of hoping that the water warmth is the water in the system from when the bath was run and as the night wears on the pipe will cool, but if it's still the same temperature in a few hours then would I be right in thinking that their is a possibility of when the shower was plumbed in two years ago that they've taken the feed for the hot water from the central heating system?

I would of thought this would have been noticeable as the system has inhibitor in it and when i drain a rad I can smell it and this 4 months after the last amount of inhibitor was put in and so in the case of taking a shower I'm pretty certain that I'd notice inhibitor in the shower when taking one?

I should add that of late the shower has been flaky and a bit hit and miss re hot or not.

Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
would I be right in thinking that their is a possibility of when the shower was plumbed in two years ago that they've taken the feed for the hot water from the central heating system
No, the CH is a sealed system. If a shower or other outlet was connected there, the first time it was used the pressure would drop to zero, and the boiler would not work.

The problem is the shower - it's faulty internally and passing water between the hot and cold inlets.
When you turned on the hot tap previously, you were getting a mix of hot water from the boiler and cold via the faulty shower valve.

Thankyou, I was a bit concerned, I have the shower being looked at in the next few days.

Would high mains water pressure not be helpful at any point?

How high is high? If it's over 5 bar when your shower is running it'll invalidate your warranty, other than that it's not overly relevant...

Sponsored Links
ok then thats ok, it's considerably less that 5bar even with the shower not running.

Thankyou!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back