Mira Shower tripping RCD when set to High. Low and Medium OK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Mira Sport Max 10.8 kW. It has 10mm cable, a 50 amp fuse and has been working fine for 2 years.

This morning I turned it on and all was fine for 5 mins and then it stopped. Went downstairs and the shower fuse and the 63 A RCD fuse had tripped.

Tried again and same thing.

Turned temperature down to cold and same thing.

Tried it on Low & Medium setting and all is fine.

As soon as I press the High button the RCD trips.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Out of interest would having a ridiculous amount of limescale effect things?

We have to clean the shower head every 2 weeks because we get so much of the stuff, I'd hate to think what the inside of the shower was like or are they engineered not to accumulate limescale?

Sponsored Links
The fault is that one of the elements has failed - and that particular element is only activated on the High setting

As for limescale - the shower will be stuffed full of it. Probably time for a new shower, as a replacement heater tank won't be a cheap item.

Is there any way to take the cover off and see anything that shows the element has gone?

The heater tank is £80 as a part. The shower was £200 and only 2 years old so a bit miffed.

Sponsored Links
I value your advice and have no idea about these things but what makes you think that the element has gone and its not another issue such as a dodgy MCB?

Just want to get my facts straight before I moan at Mira

Because we've seen it loads of times, and it's happened to your shower too.

You can test the element inside the shower with an insulation tester if you've got one, or you could just get a new shower etc.

I bought a wallpaper steam stripper on saturday. The element failed after 2 hours use. It happens.

Out of interest would having a ridiculous amount of limescale effect things?

We have to clean the shower head every 2 weeks because we get so much of the stuff, I'd hate to think what the inside of the shower was like or are they engineered not to accumulate limescale?

I have to clean my showerhead monthly as well as an internal scale trap and scale filter in my Triton.
http://www.mirashowers.co.uk/onlinecatalog/pdf/1060736_w2_f_mira_sport_max_10.8_kw.pdf
page 23 suggests cleaning filter, though I can't believe these's no trap as mine is full of it afetr a month....

Thanks. Looks helpful. It must be full as anything seeing as I didnt know about that!

Strangley, water passes through the inlet filter first, but this is nowhere near as bad as the limescale trap. I don''t think this will cure your original problem though :(

Why is there no limescale trap on mine I wonder? Is there anything to help keep the heater tank clean?

Does anyone know why the element has gone?

Just found the receipt for the shower and its 4 years old. Time flies!

I guess complaining wont do me much good due to its age.

Will it be safe to take a shower using the medium setting until I replace it with a new heater tank?

Will it be safe to take a shower using the medium setting until I replace it with a new heater tank?
Maybe. Perhaps the RCD will trip again when there is another fault. Or not. It's fairly likely to be safe. Or is it?
Personally I would not be wanting to use any appliance knowing that part of it had a fault.

With regards to the limescale destroying electric showers - unless you are going to have a water softener installed, there are two options:

a. Buy the cheapest shower you can find (well under £100) and expect to replace the whole thing when it breaks.
b. Buy a ridiculously expensive one such as the Mira Advance for £350, and then you can replace various parts when they break. Parts will be less than the whole thing, but could still be as much as the cheap shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back