Mira Sport Max overheating

Thank you guys. I see what you're saying.

I am definitely someone who doesn't mind doing a repair myself, as long as I'm confident I can do it, and changing the TCO doesn't seem very complicated, so I'm inclined to give it a go, but what I'm trying to ascertain is if you guys think it's possible for the TCO to fail in this way, so it's neither "completely" failed (no continuity 100% of the time), nor does it work properly all the time either, but seems to just trip more often and at lower temperatures than it should.

If you've come across this before and can tell me so, then I'd give replacing the TCO a go. But if this component basically either just works, or doesn't, then it's probably not it that's the cause of my issues, so wouldn't make sense to replace it, and I'd start looking at other options (one of them being replacing the whole unit, as you're advising).

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
i see where you are coming from ,it is just not possible to diagnose exactly what your problem is without being there ,so all I can give you is the benefit of knowledge and my opinion ,so here it is, based on what you told us . as the temp of water delivered is not unusually hot , i do not think you have an overheating problem. what you are getting is the shower safety /electronic system is shutting of the heating elements prematurely .the TCO would do that if it was duff. is it possible ....yes. have I come across one .... no.have I came across PCB failure ....yes more often than not.

Test if the TCO is <1 ohm to see if faulty and working properly.

Sponsored Links
Test if the TCO is <1 ohm to see if faulty and working properly.

Ah, I've almost given up and started looking at new showers... I assume I should extract the TCO to test it? And would this test pretty conclusively confirm if TCO is at fault (one way or another)?

Is that a flexi feeding the shower??

Yes. Been like that for years and years (at least 7-8), no issues.

Have you checked that the filter is clear of debris?

Yes (one where the water comes in, not sure if there's another one somewhere). Was remarkably clean.

vladman i get the feeling that you are itching to swap the TCO. which can intermittently close and open the circuits to elements. Google "thermal cut out problem on Mira sport " then look for " helpful Colin's" site. he gives you a good how to do it ,with good background info .

Ah, I've almost given up and started looking at new showers... I assume I should extract the TCO to test it? And would this test pretty conclusively confirm if TCO is at fault (one way or another)?

it will tell you if the tco is working as it should but not tell you why its tripping necessarily , if over 1 ohm i would change it unless you a related product literature telling you otherwise . thats if the tco is cutting the shower out of course

Mystery deepens... Been using the shower the last few days, was careful with the dial, trying to find the warmest comfortable temperature without it tripping (also only on medium setting)... It never tripped. So this morning, I decided to test it properly, and just chose the high setting, and got the water really hot (too hot to shower with in this weather)... Left it at least a minute, if not two... and it didn't trip.

All I can think of is that I cleaned and descaled the showerhead, but it hasn't been that long since I've done it last, and it didn't either look or feel like it was clogged up and that it needed cleaning.

Very odd!

are you using the original showerhead that came with the shower ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back