Mismatched threads on pressure washer hose/wand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a B&Q pressure washer years ago for £50.

All OK except lance, which is "hardwired" to hose, broke.

New hose and lance from B&Q = £40. New washer = £50.

So: Parkside hose from Lidl: £8.
Silverline Lance from eBay: £10

Great! Except...

Local ironmonger hasn't a clue how to join those two.

Seems a waste to scrap working pressure washer - is there any way round this? Some kind of coupler?

Sponsored Links
Depends if the thread on the hose can be removed then you could screw hose directly or remove thread from unit and if its fixed in plastic the new should lock into it even if threads a little different.[ptf tape round it]

Rounded thread form, different tpi / pitch. Could be 3/8" and 1/2" BSP possibly, unless it's an "in house" thread of some kind. Only a guess though!

If you can't do as foxhole suggests, then assuming you want to connect the one size to the other as shown, you would need a reducer. (A coupler with with different sized internal threads) What you want an industrial hydraulic fitting supplier or similar. An ironmonger or ordinary domestic plumbers merchant probably won't have the right fittings. Make sure you get a fitting that is rated for the output pressure of the pressure washer.

Hopefully good local plumbing supply will have one adapter to suit one and another adapter to suit the other. In steel or brass, whatever they have. Then ask if they have one adapter to connect the two. Now they might have to use a few adapters to get you away. If so you are laughing, if not you can get them brazed together

If they don't know what you are talking about, just try somewhere else. Hydraulic hose repair shop in your area (golden pages) might also be able to help, but usually more expensive.

Sorry didn't see above post ...............

Sponsored Links
As I live in the middle of no-where, I can see this turning into a bit of a wild goose chase driving round or returning by post the bits that were wrong.

I've just spotted this on hotukdeals http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?id=SI1606068&_requestid=231888

For £52 delivered I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be better to just buy a new one and try my luck flogging the other bits at a car boot sale.?

Try your local hydraulic parts company, they usually have every kind of thread to thread adapters @ or about £6 normally...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back