1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Missing bus bar cover from a 12 way 2012/2013 vintage MK consumer unit?

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by eveares, 25 Apr 2016.

1. eveares

eveares

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So the other day was in the main 12 way plastic MK CU in my house what is from around 2012/2013, I was doing some IR and R1+R2 tests to get readings on a circuit that I have done minor works on recently and noticed the removable bus bar cover was missing.

How important is the bus bar cover and and is it possible to get a replacement from MK?

I don't know why it's missing, but the the CU was lasted opened around 2 years ago when an electrician signed off the electrics on our extension after our original electrician failed to come back and finish the job off.

Is it worth getting hold of a replacement bus bar cover?

Regards: Elliott

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Iggifer

Iggifer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It certainly wouldn't hurt.

Just drop MK technical an email, perhaps with a photo. They might send you one for free. Eaton have sent me them for gratis in the past, I would hope MK are as helpful, but who knows?

4. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There's a couple on ebay.

5. eveares

eveares

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ok will Contact MK, could not find one on ebay that would fit mine. Mine is a 17th Edition Sentry - fully populated with DP Isolator/2 x DP 63A RCD's/10MCB's.

6. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Same as a "16th Edition" one, just a different collection of devices, surely?

7. Sponsored Links
  8. kai

kai

A rigid PVC plastic Slide Binding strip over the busbar is an ideal substitute, it tends to grip the busbar nicely (Power off first) - and can be bought in a red colour too.
    It can be cut to length with a stanley knife - leave a little extra at the ends though.

9. Iggifer

Iggifer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    By busbar shield, Elliot is referring to the silly little bit of plastic that you ALWAYS forget to put back in until you've put the board cover back on, and then have to take it off again to refit. Not the actual busbar insulation.

Clearly someone didn't bother and just chucked it away.

At least that's my understanding of the post.

10. 333rocky333

333rocky333

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    you usely find it on top of the board or on the floor.
    sometimes its just an l shaped bit of plastic, you can sometimes use a bit of plastic trim if your concerned
    [​IMG]

11. eveares

eveares

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yea, i'm not talking about a cover what directly goes over the bus bar; there never has been anything on that. I was talking about the L shaped cover what spans across the whole CU at the bottom.

Not on top of the board Rocky, have yet to contact MK.

12. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links