Missing foundation bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a 1900 end of terrace. While trying to trace a leak cased by an old rose growing through the brick work I discovered that the bottom 2 courses of bricks in my foundation were missing at the corner, leaving the outside 6inches of house unsupported. How bad is this. Can i rebuild the missing brickwork or can i pour in a cement patch? As its all going to be undergroing looks in not important.

Sponsored Links
The entire course? to what extent? a few meters? one brick? Photos maybe?

Also may wanna move this to the building forum

It is only the very corner that is missing some bricks. There are 4 or 5 courses of brick under the DPC in some places, here it seems the bottom two courses are where the problem is.

Looks like some pretty shody brickwork all round.. also looks like brick footings with a little bit of concrete under, not that uncommon.. actually may just be a little mortar under the bricks..

You should do things properly thou, so dig out all the loose material till you either hit the concrete under (if there is even some) or solid original soil.. then fill in to the bottom with mass concrete to the level of the adjacent brickwork base.. then replace the missing bricks with some engineering ones..hopefully none will be visible in the end so wont notice..

IF you find that digging out the loose material just means more of the wall falls away, then stop and seek someone to come out and look at it.. your drain leak may have caused more than just a couple of bricks to crumble..

Sponsored Links
thanks very much, I have lifted the next 2 paving slabs underwhich were some rusted old paint tins. I think i have found some solid ground, sadly not a nice concrete base. i think i will ask a few people what they reckon. But i like the idea of pouring the concrete and building up with engineering bricks. Hopefully my house wont collapse over night.... :confused: Its been supported by not much more than air for the last 30 yrs or so, so should be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back