Missing tag/seal on main fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just have checked & the metal wire seal that covers the main incoming fuse is broken.

I can only assume this was when we had an electrician in some time back.

Day to day there is obviously no problem to me with the main fuse not being sealed but what will happen if it does get noted one time by a meter reader or other said offical type person?

Sponsored Links
two options as I see it : (i) you can call your supplier & tell them the seal is broken, request a re-seal or (ii) next time someone comes round to read your meter he will probably re-seal anycase if you mention it...I don't think there is much you need to worry about if you explain the seal was broken and you didn't break it either way.

~rlc

I wouldn't worry about it, we've had 4 edf chaps round in as many months and 2 replaced the seals and 2 didnt. At the moment we have no seals but 4 on the floor around the enclosure.

Kev

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Our mainfuse has no seals. Nowt to worry about really. One of those formailities thats gotten so mundane nobody bothers with it anymore. ;)

Sponsored Links
yeah

the seal on our main fuse is broken

had 2 meter guys round and they werent bothered - i even pointed it out to the second one and he said he could re-seal it if i wanted

Yea nothing to worry about.

Just leave it as it is.

No problem with the seal going for the fuse, an eyebrow or two would be raised if it was the seal between meter and supply head, for the obvious reason.

well when we had a new CU put in as part of an extention both the service fuse seal (presumablly to isolate) and the meter teminal seal (presumablly to fit longer outgoing tails) were no longer there afterwards and noone seems to have noticed/cared.

Spoke to an MEB fitter a few years back and he said they didn't pay much attention to fuse seals, however meter seals (and therefore potential meter tamplering) might lead to questions being asked.

stevesey said:
Spoke to an MEB fitter a few years back and he said they didn't pay much attention to fuse seals, however meter seals (and therefore potential meter tamplering) might lead to questions being asked.

Chri5 said:
No problem with the seal going for the fuse, an eyebrow or two would be raised if it was the seal between meter and supply head, for the obvious reason.

Don't understand that, You could remove the service fuse, connect new tails from it straight to the consumer unit & hey presto free electricity and the meter seal is still in tact. (BTW I don't advocate or condone this procedure)

stem, the meter reader would get a bit suspicious when he sees no tails in the meter, and the meter not moving. :rolleyes:

You could always hide behind the sofa and not let him (or her) in... or put them back a week before he's due, otherwise not using any electricity at all might raise suspicion as well ;)

Just had another thought - build an enclosure around the meter, so that only the face of the meter is visible. ;) Feed the shower circuit off the meter itself, and have it running when the meter reader comes. Then he wont be suspicious at all! :LOL:

FYI, we are fooling around, do not ever attempt to bypass your meter! :LOL:

Crafty said:
Just had another thought - build an enclosure around the meter, so that only the face of the meter is visible. ;) Feed the shower circuit off the meter itself, and have it running when the meter reader comes. Then he wont be suspicious at all! :LOL:

While fooling......... why not supply the whole street so you run the meter up to 99999999 and then round through zero and back up to just a few units above what it was the last reading.

bernardgreen said:
Crafty said:

While fooling......... why not supply the whole street so you run the meter up to 99999999 and then round through zero and back up to just a few units above what it was the last reading.
Too much hard work :( :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back