Mitsubishi Spacestar Driver's Window Switch

A worthwhile project, SS!
You’ll be pleased to know that Ford have solved the problem of worn wiper linkages.....they now fit two wiper motors (y)
What they don’t tell you is that they have to be synchronised via a laptop with appropriate software :(
Failure to do so means a blade battle worthy of the two musketeers :eek: Thank gawd I’d lifted the blades off the screen!
John :)

Sponsored Links
That is typical of today's cars!

I appreciate today's comfort, safety and convenience, but sometimes I yearn for yesteryear's simplicity!

Hello everyone!

I haven't done a great deal on the Mitsu recently, but am contemplating the remaining issues:
(In no particular order)

1. Second is awkward to engage.
One mech thinks it is likely to be linkages.
2. The patching needed to the sills. At the moment just an advisory.
3. Rear heated window inop. Pain, because I don't fancy changing the tailgate or glass.
4. Wiper linkages worn, causing off side blade to slap the A pillar.
5. Nearside mirror missing underside of casing. Not a major issue, more cosmetic.

I am going to tackle the wipers next.

Just have to get brave and dive in there.

I have found some metal clips on Amazon, but I just wondered if anybody had any tips or advice?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pair-Repai...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Also seen these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dorman-494...g&qid=1627655317&sprefix=wiper+linkage&sr=8-4

I would consider buying a second hand assembly, but you could be out of the frying pan with that strategy as the replacement could be just as bad or worse!

Sponsored Links
The wiper linkage clips are just fine - so long as the diameter of them is correct......I can’t comment on the bushes though. The clips won’t accommodate any wear of course. I’ve only had to replace them if they were missing.
Check out a motor factors for the mirror shell - if its a popular one you may get lucky! The mirror mustn’t be loose for the MOT.
Re the rear demister, check the element for continuity first - if that’s ok thete’s a good chance its the wiring to the tailgate that’s faulty. Do check the fuse and switch, of course.
If you have to patch the sills it has to be metal and welded all the way round.....maybe its just surface rust?
If second gear is difficult to engage it maybe the clutch, but other gears will be affected too. If it’s just a bit vague then the mechanism is a reasonable bet.

John,

Thank you for your advice.

When you say the clips won't accommodate wear, do you mean they're no good to fix the sloppy linkage issue?

The clips shown on your first link are just to secure the linkage rods in place - they have no bearing on wear.
The other plastic bushes - presuming they are the correct size - should help sort things out. Here's hoping the size you need is inclusive.....how many times do we buy kits that have 'every size available' - apart from the one you need, of course! :mrgreen:
Good luck with it!

Got another issue to deal with....

There is moisture in the car. I checked all the door seals and the only one damaged was the tailgate seal.

The moisture is mostly appearing on the tailgate glass.

Do you think this is the cause?

IMG_20211114_161647_458.jpg

Number one son thought he had left his headlights on all day.

Luckily, he hadn't, but it got me thinking what I could do to fit a lights on alarm.

In the days when cars were scantily equipped, add-ons like this were popular purchases at places like Halfords.

I don't see anything like that today. I appreciate there are one or two on eBay/ Amazon, but the quality does not seem good.

Any ideas, please?

Having thought about this for a bit, I think the best idea would be to source a buzzer from RS or similar and connect the +ve side to the headlight feed and the -ve to driver's door switch.

Any better ideas?

For sure, that would be the simplest way, but of course as soon as the door is shut the alarm will cease again....kosher ones have a latching relay until the alarm is manually reset or automatically done with a timer.
It may be sensible to use an extra door switch, depending on accessibility and I wouldn't venture in if the car has a CanBus electrical system.
Good luck with the project!

Here I am again with an issue with the ignition system.

We've had an issue with the check engine light coming on and off. It's been on recently for ages and just as we were driving down to the garage to get them to scan it, the light went off.
Really?

Anyway, they scanned it anyway and it came back with 2 issues, both labelled misfire.

He reckoned it could only be one of three things: plugs, leads or coil packs.

So I figured I'd start with the plugs, then leads, then the coil packs.

Euro Car Parts have got them on at a silly discount, at 11 squid each. Starline brand. Are they rubbish?

I’ve only come across one Starline product, and that was a timing belt tensioner......absurdly cheap at £4.50 I thought best left alone.
For ignition parts I prefer Beru ( German) if I can get them, but I do replace all four coils if they are the pencil type.
Maybe check out what Autodoc have to offer?
John

Sponsored Links
Back