Mixed brand MCBs and EICR coding

Stop commenting then!
From your viewpoint, probably the most important comment I've made, several pages back, was:
... having said all of that, and despite what BAS seems to think/imply, I would never 'advise' anyone to used mixed-make devices, and nor would I install a 'wrong make' one in anyone else's CU (other than as a temporary measure). However, as far as I am personally concerned (i.e. in relation to my own installation), I am far more concerned with such issues as how well conductors have been terminated in the devices than whether or not the devices are 'the right make' (assuming they 'fit' {again, in common sense terms, rather than stillp's 'micrometer' view})

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
One engineer said that "If the maximum prospective fault current at the board is less than the breaking capacity of ALL the breakers in that board, AND the board is fed from a suitable BS88 or similar HBC fuse then you can use any make of MCB you want, as long as it fits the space properly."

One engineer said that "If the maximum prospective fault current at the board is less than the breaking capacity of ALL the breakers in that board, AND the board is fed from a suitable BS88 or similar HBC fuse then you can use any make of MCB you want, as long as it fits the space properly."
Whether that is electrically reasonable or not, a mixture of MCBs of different makes would be non-compliant with BS7671 if it was a single-phase supply ≤100A to an installation which was "under the control of ordinary persons".

Kind Regards, John

In that case he should not be calling himself an engineer.

Sponsored Links
It's a major flaw in the din-rail-system standards - when the board manufacturers got around the table in the Eighties in order to draft the din standard, they forgot to finish it off - they agreed on the din-rail mount, and the aperture openings, unfortunately they failed to reach agreement on the busbar connections, which would have probably solved the problems.

What are you on about? There's no formal agreement on the position of the so-called DIN rail in DBOs, nor on the aperture openings.
Those rails are standardised in BS EN 60715:2001.

That's probably why you find empty din-rail housings for sale, and I found that I can fit many makes of breaker into them - as long as I do not try to connect the busbar in.
The din-rail and openings/apertures line up fine though.

What he is suggesting is that the type testing is not necessary then as you are not claiming compliance with the UK-only derogation in Annex ZA for the conditional rating of the protective devices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back