Mixed tile sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to tile my kitchen using a 3 tile pattern, using 500, 333 and 165mm sq tiles. How big a grout line should I aim for? The lines will be various sizes as the tile sizes don't add up, a 333 and a 165 only give a 2mm wide line if they are next to a 500 tile, my planned pattern is below.
How big a notched trowel should I be using for a mix of sizes.
I think I understand 'back buttering' but not sure why it is needed, if it is for floor tiles? I've never tiled but would want to 'give it a go'!
I'm going to lay some undertile boards down, it may be better in a different post but;
Does anyone advise using the xps type sheets over the cement faced boards? I've read that pro's won't touch them but there seems to be thousands sold so someone must be using them.
I'm going to lay a electric mat so need to use compatable materials, not planning on using the mat just yet so going to put wiring somewhere accessable for later connection.

Sponsored Links
It's called modular pattern your looking at fixing...

Floor substrate?

As for grout spacing on a floor ..min 3mm...

If your as good as me then yes you can go done to 2mm...

For your first attempt at tile fixing mate....thick you better look into something more easier to tile...

Replied in your other thread re...preperation tiles ect ect ect mate..

The existing kitchen floor is concrete, and currently very cold. I want to have elec ufh so will be using a 10mm board. Rapid set flexible adhesive I believe? I thought about only using 6mm board to limit the overall increase in floor surface but 6mm just seems to thin for decent insulation properties. I'll end up about 25mm above existing concrete.
The tiles should fit well, starting at a set of french doors, tiles centered at the doors. The pattern is also to be centered down the middle of the kitchen so there is an even tile around the plinths.
Tile shop bloke says to make the 2mm gap 4mm by moving each by 1mm and having 6-7mm around the larger tiles. I'd rather have even gaps but tile sizes dictate uneven grouting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back