XPS or hard face insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gents,
I'm finally ready to lay my kitchen floor and want insulation boards down 1st. I was going to use xps, the blue foam sheets but I know tilers don't like tiling if xps sheets are used.
I only have a maximum of 30mm from my existing concrete floor to the top of the tiles. My tiles are 10mm thick and 3 sizes, 165, 333 and 500sq so I've got to use a 20mm half round trowel. How thick will the finished bed be under the tiles?
I'm laying a ufh heat mesh down and will slc that flush to top of wire to make tiling easier, the slc will/should not add any height so thats another 2-3mm (prowarm mat).
I have a choice of 6 or 10mm insulation sheets and might go to hard faced instead of xps. What size notch trowel should I use for the adhesive? How thick a bed will it give me, I'm hoping for 2mm when bedded down, do the insulation sheets need much of a bed under them to stick them down?
Sorry if there's lots of questions in one post!

Sponsored Links
20 mm half round will give you 8/10mm bed. 2mm bed is not possible.

Use a good tiling insulation board like Marmox. Forget XPS.

You aren't going to get insulation 10mm + UFH 5mm + tiles 10mm + adhesive in at 30mm. Either forget UFH or plan on a thicker floor.

Marmox will be laid on a 6mm trowel & will give a 3mm bed. Less than 10mm insulation won't be worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back