Mixer shower advice for clueless girl!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I live in a rented flat and am sick of baths!! I had a mixer thing that fitted over the taps with a rubber pipe thing but the temperature was boiling hot then freezing all the time. I've got a multipoint boiler fitted and am not sure whether a cheap mixer shower that is part of new taps would give me the same problem?? Or whether I should get a thermostatic mixer fitted to regulate the temperature better - is this whats needed??

I was quoted £350 for a mixer shower to be installed but have seen a mixer with bath taps for £70 that I am considering but do you think I will have the same temperature problem and will end up getting a thermostatic one anyway. My head hurts I'm so confused, please help!!

Oh yeh, would the cheap one with bath taps have a valve to control it or not or am I getting all mixed up again?? Many thanks xx :oops:

Sponsored Links
Mixer taps ( the ones you saw for about 70 quid ) are just a more luxury version of what you have now with the rubber hose thingy. You set the temperature through the spout, pull the diverter knob and it comes out the shower head instead. If someone else in the house uses a tap or flushes the loo, whoever is in the shower will get the appropriate temperature change - hot or cold.

A thermostatic shower valve will help you out here, but it is an expensive route to take. Extra fitting costs are involved too.

A compromise may be to get a mixer tap like you have seen, but with a thermostatic action on it. They are not very common but they do exist. And they are obviously a lot cheaper to fit - just the same as changing normal taps.

Thank you so much I'm really hopeless!! Do you know where I could get one of these by any chance?

Many thanks :D

Sponsored Links
Bloody hell, that is a bargain. I might get one for my old lady. Anyway, yes, it should be as simple as changing over old taps. The only problems there might be are.......

1. The existing taps are very old and have longer stems underneath. All new taps have shorter stems. This is quickly remedied with tap extenders. It shouldn't effect the price that much, maybe a tenner, but it is worth bearing in mind.

2. The old taps are seized onto the bath and they wont shift for love nor money. This is rare, but on old cast iron baths, the taps seemed to be set in with some early version of plumbers-mate that goes off like concrete. Usually a bit of heat from a blow torch and a whack with a lump hammer sorts it out. Again, quite rare, but at least you know.

Ooh I'm happy now - tis worth doing research I'm finding!!!

Do you know how much a decent plumber should charge to fit new taps roughly? About £40 or am I looking at over £100 - as I said I'm completely clueless and wouldn't expect an exact figure as I know thats not permitted on this site but a ball park guide would be great so I don't get ripped off as I'm so gullible!!

Many many thanks!!!!!

lollybabe said:
Ooh I'm happy now - tis worth doing research I'm finding!!!

Do you know how much a decent plumber should charge to fit new taps roughly? I don't get ripped off as I'm so gullible!!

Many many thanks!!!!!

I charge 49 pounds generally, but if you want them fitting roughly.you will have to speak to my partner Barry..

grrinc said:
b****y hell, that is a bargain. I might get one for my old lady. Anyway, yes, it should be as simple as changing over old taps. The only problems there might be are.......

the taps seemed to be set in with some early version of plumbers-mate that goes off like concrete. .
That`ll be linseed oil putty ;) maybe even red lead putty :eek:

Red lead putty!!! Thats the bloody stuff!! I hope I never see that stuff again. Thanks.

I have a customer who sets the temperature on her combi so it's just right to wash her hair by.

You may find that your multipoint temperature control is acurate enough, a lot better than what you are doing now.

If you only use the shower, you might also find that fitting a tmv (which is adjustable) under the bath might be satisfactory.

I am proposing these two options in the event you don't have the money to pay for a full thermostatic shower install. The tmv route is a lot cheaper.

putty removal, take head off tap, point blow torch down hole, that softens it sufficiently.

Hiya,

whats a tmv?? Is a set of thermostatic mixer taps not might best option do you think? I'm hoping to get my landlord to pay the costs of them being fitted if I purchase them as they'll be there long after I've moved out!!

:D x

tmv is requirement in care homes and hmg would like to make them a requirement in your home but haven't yet. Sets the maximum temp at wash hand basin and bath, is adjustable. Blends hot with cold, you could adjust it to get a shower temperature (38 degrees Celcius).

No thermno mixer is better, just more expensive buit if landlord is paying OK.

tmv has disadvantage you would have to keep bath panelk off to adjust it back up when you want a bath or you'll have to take pans of boiling water in to "top up".

If HMG does make it law, then we'll probably see a massive increase in scald injuries from people spilling hot pan of boiled water on toddler on way upstairs to bathroom with it.

Set the thermostatic mixing valve (TMV) at 42-45c (recommended by HSE) and it will do the bath temperature as well.

But I fear she won't be able to blend it down to 38 with mains cold any easier than the difficulties she's already having.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back