Mixer tap - repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise on how to repair a mixer tape please.

I have one that looks very similar to this:

butler_bta1208.jpg

The cold water flows out just fine, but the hot water is a bit on the slow side and seemingly getting slower as the months go by.

Is there an exploded diagram of one anywhere for example? That would help a lot.

Thanks[/img]

Sponsored Links
I always tell people that they are throw away if failed.

As they only cost about £40 it would hardly be commercially viable to visit to repair anyway.

I would like to know how to repair them if anyone knew!

Tony

First thing is to undo the red bit and see if it's full of scale

tapendred.jpg

One quick dodge is to back pressure the hot if you can to shift any debris that may have accumalated at the inlet to the hot valve. They get narrow there and bits get wedged in.
If the cold is at a higher pressure, you hold your hand or a thick rubber glove over the spout and turn both sides on and force the water to go up the hot side - it will move the debris to one side (hope!).

Sponsored Links
Thanks, just checked - no scale.

Cold water is running fine, just the hot is rather slow.

One quick dodge is to back pressure the hot if you can to shift any debris that may have accumalated at the inlet to the hot valve. They get narrow there and bits get wedged in.
If the cold is at a higher pressure, you hold your hand or a thick rubber glove over the spout and turn both sides on and force the water to go up the hot side - it will move the debris to one side (hope!).

Turn both sides on? How? The sides are turned on my moving the lever to the left or right, so do you mean to put the lever in the middle?

yes - but cover the spout so the cold goes up the hot. Have to hold it very tight.

Managed to get mine apart. Removed connector for shower hose. Large allen key skt then allowed removal of water diverter mechanism.

Managed to get mine apart. Removed connector for shower hose. Large allen key skt then allowed removal of water diverter mechanism.

Well all that discussion was a year ago!

But you did not say what you did when it was all in bits! Put in in the middle of the floor and danced around it?

Oops, thats what Essex girls do with their handbags in clubs isn't it?

My old boss's wife was called Sharon but he did not like Essex jokes!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back