mixing concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to secure my bicycles in the shed by preparing a block of concrete with a ground anchor in it that I can chain the bikes to. That way they can't be ridden away like the last lot :evil:

I've never prepared concrete before so I'm here asking for pointers. I want something that is not going to just shatter if dropped on the ground.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Make a wooden framework the shape you want.
You can buy pebbles and sand in 25 kg bags. Mix 4 parts of this to 1 part cement. :D

is this to be a permanent fixture or a slightly more portable block?

if it's permanent then a decent post hole and some post hole concrete might be an idea, you pour it in the hole dry and add water and stir a bit..

The postcrete stuff will cost a bit more than Ballast and cement. However you are unlikely to use up all the cement for a small area so may be worth just spending the money on the postcrete stuff. The ballast price is negligible its the Cement that will make up the cost. About £1 for a bag of ballast to about £4 for a bag of cement.

Sponsored Links
is this to be a permanent fixture or a slightly more portable block?

if it's permanent then a decent post hole and some post hole concrete might be an idea, you pour it in the hole dry and add water and stir a bit..
It will be a portable block.
Can I pour it into a large terracotta plant pot and then stick the ground anchor in and leave to set?

How much water do I mix in, until a creamy consistancy like tile adhesive? Is it dangerous, I ask as I knew a guy claimed to have been burnt by concrete.

Cheers!

Its the cement which is the irritant. Wear gloves when handling or wash off sharpish if you get it on your hands. It will dry your hands out incredibly fast however if you use it day in day out your hands get tough enough that its doesn't affect you the same way it does the next man.

The concrete mix does not need loads of water, the less water the harder the concrete will go off harder. When you start mixing you know when enough is enough.

Its not usually too bad on your hands. The worst cement burns are usually when people wade around in it without Wellingtons. Its the Calcium Hydroxide produced when water is added which is a caustic burn. It can also cause dermatitis.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back