1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Mixing Dry Screed Right, driving me nuts.

Discussion in 'Building' started by LondonLad21, 11 Jan 2021.

1. LondonLad21

LondonLad21

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I am perhaps (stupidly) attempting to screed the floor in my extension, a dry mix screed.

What is almost as annoying as the pubs being shut is the fact my screed is balling in the mixer, everything is sticking at the back, and the balls are quite hard and impossible to work with quickly.

After a nice light damp mixture, but failing.

Help

Using a Belle mixer, cleaned it today so the paddles are nice and clean and you could eat your dinner off it.

2. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Half the sand first then most of the water, then all the cement, then the rest of the sand, then add any more water if need be. You may need to use the shovel in the middle of the mixer to turn it over too, as the drum turns.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. LondonLad21

LondonLad21

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, I will try less in the mixer to start with. How much water, how do you gauge that? Sand is sharp sand of course, stored in grab bag outside, damp, but not holding together then grabbed in hand on its own.

5. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You'll have to see about the water. Some damp sand wont need any. Once half the sand is in the mixer you can see if it's too dry or OK, then if water is needed add it so the sand looks too wet, as the cement and rest of the sand will then dry it up.

Once you have done a mix, you will know how much water for the subsequent mixes.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    And don't leave it too long in the mixer