Mixing Dry Screed Right, driving me nuts.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am perhaps (stupidly) attempting to screed the floor in my extension, a dry mix screed.

What is almost as annoying as the pubs being shut is the fact my screed is balling in the mixer, everything is sticking at the back, and the balls are quite hard and impossible to work with quickly.

After a nice light damp mixture, but failing.

Help

Using a Belle mixer, cleaned it today so the paddles are nice and clean and you could eat your dinner off it.

Sponsored Links
Half the sand first then most of the water, then all the cement, then the rest of the sand, then add any more water if need be. You may need to use the shovel in the middle of the mixer to turn it over too, as the drum turns.

Thanks, I will try less in the mixer to start with. How much water, how do you gauge that? Sand is sharp sand of course, stored in grab bag outside, damp, but not holding together then grabbed in hand on its own.

You'll have to see about the water. Some damp sand wont need any. Once half the sand is in the mixer you can see if it's too dry or OK, then if water is needed add it so the sand looks too wet, as the cement and rest of the sand will then dry it up.

Once you have done a mix, you will know how much water for the subsequent mixes.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back