mk 3 fiesta high emissions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI my fiesta has high emissions on inspection I find that the flap in the air cleaner houseing is stuck in the warm air inlet position could this be the reason, also I have been told that it could be the MAP sensor. Any other ideas please thanks.

Sponsored Links
How old is your Fiesta, mate?
Either way, the air flap position won't change the emissions, I'm afraid.
The problem could be the MAP sensor, but it could also be an exhaust issue.
John :)

How old is your Fiesta, mate?
Either way, the air flap position won't change the emissions, I'm afraid.
The problem could be the MAP sensor, but it could also be an exhaust issue.

HI the car is a mk3 1.1 cfi fiesta 1993.Have also noticed that with a brand new thermostat and radiator blanked off with cardboard car never seems to get really hot .Wondered if a sensor wasnt sending the right signal to ecu hence high emissions.

Sponsored Links
Thats a curious comment about the car not getting hot enough - are you sure you can trust the gauge though?
The thermostat should keep the engine at around the 90 deg mark all of the time, especially during the warmer months. Presumably the cooling fan doesn't come on at all....do your test with the cabin heater off, naturally.
Are there any other problems...poor tickover, stalling etc?
Your problem could well be related to engine temperature - with cars of that age, the cat needs to be stinking hot for the emissions to fall.

Thats a curious comment about the car not getting hot enough - are you sure you can trust the gauge though?
The thermostat should keep the engine at around the 90 deg mark all of the time, especially during the warmer months. Presumably the cooling fan doesn't come on at all....do your test with the cabin heater off, naturally.
Are there any other problems...poor tickover, stalling etc?
Your problem could well be related to engine temperature - with cars of that age, the cat needs to be stinking hot for the emissions to fall.
Cat and lambda 11 months old.Brand new stat, fan cuts in when ticking over in garage to bleed cooling system, when temp gauge moves into higher than normal driving mode.

Seems you have any suggestions already covered.

Try a new ECU temp sensor, or have you that done? Its probably the
one with 2 wires.

Seems you have any suggestions already covered.

Try a new ECU temp sensor, or have you that done? Its probably the
one with 2 wires.

Hi again forgot to mention already tested that in hot water with a digital thermometer and multimeter am really running out of ideas now .Thanks

What figures did you get from the temp sensor?

Is it a NTC or PTC type?

And how did the figures compare to the single wire sensor for the temp
gauge?

As always the devil is in the detail

What figures did you get from the temp sensor?

Is it a NTC or PTC type?

And how did the figures compare to the single wire sensor for the temp
gauge?

As always the devil is in the detail

Hi againit is a IAT/ECT sensor all readings were spot on as I heated it up in water. Still wonder if MAP sensor could alter fuel air mix and would this affect the running temp of engine.

Sponsored Links
Back