mk double switch to socket

No need to be so rude. Incidentally vacuum cleaners could be fitted with a 5a plug, though unlikely these days.

Sponsored Links
Incidentally vacuum cleaners could be fitted with a 5a plug, though unlikely these days.
Anything could be fitted with a 5A plug by someone removing the 13A one supplied with it and putting a 5A one in its place.

Did you actually have a rational point to make?

Sponsored Links
So, the switch in question is located downstairs. Do you think that you would isolate that switch by turning off the downstairs lighting circuit breaker??

No, exactly my point! I would "expect" the landing light and thus the downstairs switch to be on the upstairs circuit. I would also "expect" any other switch on the same plate to be on the downstairs circuit. This may not be the case in either situation, and unless I knew for certain I would isolate both circuits and check for dead.

The point is with having a switch effectively fed from the socket ring is that it is not "expected". A professional spark or someone with common sense would look for the feed if a switch is still live, but such a feed is not necessarily the most obvious. Somebody else may just make the (potentially dangerous) assumption that all is dead if the lighting circuits are off.

This was a comment giving my twopenn'th. It may be OK to do this but would I do it? Unlikely. But that is me. It may not be as elegant, or what the OP wants to do himself , but in this case I would just use a switched FCU to supply the lights. Again, my choice. It is what I had done in my kitchen as I did not want the extra mess of chasing for a switch drop or trying to get a cable from the light fitting

Fair enough. On this forum one never knows the competence of the poster. The same could be said of some of the responders!

A professional spark or someone with common sense would look for the feed if a switch is still live, but such a feed is not necessarily the most obvious. Somebody else may just make the (potentially dangerous) assumption that all is dead if the lighting circuits are off.
THEN THAT WOULD BE THEIR FAULT.

When you're crossing the road, and the little green man has come on, do you just step out, assuming that the car approaching is going to stop, or do you wait a bit until you know he's going to?

When you buy a reduced item in the supermarket, do you assume that the person on the till will have got it right, or that the barcode will have been right, or do you check your receipt?

When you get given change, do you assume that it must be OK, or do you check it?

Every time you say things like 'someone might not check', or 'people might not expect' etc, you reinforce the point that people are supposed to check, and are not supposed to assume.

People with no common sense should not work on electrical installations, and it is not the job of a designer to eschew the right design in case in the future some uninformed idiot does what he is not supposed to do.

When you're crossing the road, and the little green man has come on, do you just step out, assuming that the car approaching is going to stop, or do you wait a bit until you know he's going to?

When you buy a reduced item in the supermarket, do you assume that the person on the till will have got it right, or that the barcode will have been right, or do you check your receipt?

When you get given change, do you assume that it must be OK, or do you check it?

It all depends on the level of risk. Stepping out in front of a car carries higher risk to life than checking change in the supermarket. The change might be very important to you, but is not a threat to life and limb. If it is important to you, you will check it - electric is off, road is clear, change, whatever

People with no common sense should not work on electrical installations, and it is not the job of a designer to eschew the right design in case in the future some uninformed idiot does what he is not supposed to do.

I wonder how many "informed" have had a shock from something unexpected? There have been posts here that someone has had a shock as an automated switch has operated feeding a notionally dead circuit. Should not the designer account for this. The circuit may have been modified and to the best of your knowledge is safe to work on when you start.

If it is important to you, you will check it - electric is off, road is clear, change, whatever
Precisely.

I wonder how many "informed" have had a shock from something unexpected? There have been posts here that someone has had a shock as an automated switch has operated feeding a notionally dead circuit. Should not the designer account for this. The circuit may have been modified and to the best of your knowledge is safe to work on when you start.
That is completely different, and it's worrying to think that you might be having anything to do with designing stuff if you can't see that.

That is either a case of the designer failing to provide a guaranteed way to isolate the circuit, or the electrician failing to use it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back