MK Fully populated with RCBO's (x15)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen some really tidy CU install pics on the forum, which the owners are cleary proud of. But, has anyone installed an MK Sentry fully populated with RCBO's (7900 series) and willing to share their pics?

I have followed some of the threads on the issue of shortening the tails v hassle of getting everything in, so would appreciate seeing a nice job.

For information I am NOT a spark and will NOT be installing the new CU, but take a keen interest in what is done at my expense and in my house.
Also, by agreement with the actual installer, I have sourced the above kit.

The installer has indicated a likely price of around £160 (if one day) to install, check and report to his body / BCO. Reasonable? West Sussex coast.

Incidentally, why do Screwfix sell the 6900 range of RCBO's? I wrote to MK to ask them and they replied: "unfortunately we do not have any control over which products our suppliers sell from their existing stock, you will need to direct your query to Screwfix to be able to understand their policy in this respect". I'll let you know if I follow this up!

Anyway, back to the pics - any nice one's guys?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
The installer has indicated a likely price of around £160 (if one day) to install, check and report to his body / BCO. Reasonable? West Sussex coast.

I'm not an electrician but, In my opinion: If the job goes well and everything tests out OK, they could be in and out in a long morning. Any problems though then they could spend a long day and then have to return another day. And as you have mentioned they do have all the paperwork to sort out after. £160 sounds fair to me. Was it a quotation or an estimate?

Incidentally, why do Screwfix sell the 6900 range of RCBO's? I wrote to MK to ask them and they replied: "unfortunately we do not have any control over which products our suppliers sell from their existing stock, you will need to direct your query to Screwfix to be able to understand their policy in this respect". I'll let you know if I follow this up!

Presumably because they bought loads before MK discontinued them and still haven't sold them all.

But, has anyone installed an MK Sentry fully populated with RCBO's (7900 series) and willing to share their pics?

Unfortunately with the advent of the 7900 series RBCOs and the 5900 series circuit breakers, the quality of MK took a huge nose dive, and I like many others stopped fitting them.

MK have just announced they are recalling their 100A main switches.

When will these companies learn their penny pinching on quality just leads to a massively damaged brand reputation. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Nice work.

I always used to like MEM boards, but there's hardly anyone round here that stocks them, so it's too much of a pita to use them. :cry:

RF Lighting - you may be correct about the quality of MK, but they are usually found in public buildings / hotels, etc, where cost hasn't always been the main consideration. No disrepect intended, but can you support such a claim? Have parts failed / broken / proved unfit more than other brands? Why do your professional bodies not challenge MK over deteriorating quality? Perhaps they do?

In terms of recall, I was very concerned, but on reading the link it would appear to affect a relatively small batch. BMW and Honda undertook major fault recalls recently - so are they now rubbish brands too?

I apologise for wandering off topic as my real interest is the experience of you guys fitting RCBO's day in day out and how you deal with what appears to be rather over-length wires. Many have offered their view on shortening the wire, but who is willing to stand up and state with authority (competency) that it is safe / not safe? Are manufacturers likely to agree with you?

When my intended electrician gets his cutters out, I would like to know (I am paying and will live with the consequences) whether this is acceptable or compomises the device. I am willing to have the discussion with him, but it would be helpful to have an authorative view, rather than a well-meaning opinion.

Where are those pics? :LOL:

I too love Eaton, and too think the quality of MK, Sentry at least is p**s poor.

I cut pigtails as needed, not all manufacturers mention it, but by not mentioning it, they neither discourage or endorse it.

Schneider, however, encourage it

http://www2.schneider-electric.com/...S/167000/FA167672/en_US/DOM RCBO .pdf[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the link - so at least one manufacturer confirms it is acceptable (recommended) - very help to know.

I guess MK is not everyone's favourite product!

dont get me wrong, they still make some decent stuff.

Their logic range is still pretty good (albeit not as good as it was), their metalclad stuff is great, and their Masterseal range is by far the best out there.

It's just their Sentry stuff I'm not fond of, all I've found is, ill fitting covers, poor fitting MCB's/RCBO's, rough edges on mcbs, flimsy boards and carp screw terminals.

In my mind, for build quality and aesthetics, you can't beat Eaton. The only thing I don't like is their pigtails aren't coiled, but that's a minor complaint compared to MK's. Eaton RCBO's also dont use the FE pigtail so there's 15 less cables in your CU

Not mk, but recently fitted some metal clad eaton boards, and I actually quite like them. Loads of room above the rcbo.

Is that an energy meter on the left, and the live bar cleverly moved left/shortened so it's fed through the energy meter instead of directly from the main switch ? Neat boards.

BMW and Honda undertook major fault recalls recently - so are they now rubbish brands too?

Personally, I think BMW's build quality has taken a plunge since the 70's. Same with Mercs. But Honda have improved.

Nice work.

I always used to like MEM boards, but there's hardly anyone round here that stocks them, so it's too much of a pita to use them. :cry:

What do the wholesalers Leeds way generally carry on the shelf?

O/T: Is bramley part of your stomping ground? or do you try and avoid the place?

Generally round here it's wylex, hager, MK and schneider.

I do bits and bats in bramley, but it's not really my patch.

So, no one has an MK RCBO CU picture to share then? Pity, but thank you to flyingsparks for keeping on topic and to Iggifer for giving some reasons for disliking MK, I appreciate you taking the time to explain.

I'm sure Leeds is a very nice place, but neither their wholesalers nor a discourse on the merits of vehicles was what I was hoping for.

Perhaps I can tease something out of you guys by asking for pics on any fully populated RCBO CU - I might be persuaded to cut my losses on 15 MK RCBO's and move to something else.

May I be cheeky and ask a supplementary question? - is it a no-no to tie the neutral tails (flying leads?) together - I guess this could prevent heat loss and reduce capacity of the leads? I have seen in some pics the earths are tied - presumably not a problem as under normal conditions they are not carrying current?

Thank you again.

Go ahead and tie them together, no worries there.

It's entirely up to you what you do with your existing MK stuff, there is nothing catastrophically wrong with it, just some niggles and it's not as good as it used to be, as long as it's installed and tested perfectly it will be safe - which is the main thing

There must be thousands if not hundreds of thousands of MK boards installed out there, so if it's gonna cost a lot to swap for something else, don't bother, if you do decide to change, my vote is for eaton

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back