Mobile Charging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PiLs have a static.

They have complained in the recent past of mobiles not charging.

I have looked at their phones, the charging ports, the leads and the chargers. They have year-old Moto G30s with USB C ports. They use a genuine Motorola 2A 5V charger.

I put them both on charge back at home and found no issues.

I am at the static now. Last night I had my phone on charge (Nokia XR20) using a Huawei charger.

It was on 87% last night around midnight and has been plugged in ever since. The battery symbol shows the phone is connected to the supply, but the battery has dropped overnight. It is currently 45%.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Is the power coming from the grid or is there a cheap generator rattling away somewhere? (Or for that matter a cheap inverter on a PV setup)
Multimeter to check supply voltage? Martindale/similar to check the sockets?
Any other mains appliances misbehaving?
Do you have a nice big tungsten lamp (a 300w sunflood would do) - plug that in and see if yr phone starts charging

Thoughts:-
1) My phone a Galaxy A12 would not drop that amount even if not on charge.
2) When Pound World was going I had a lot of leads which had a very low charge rate, some thing to do with leads and hand shaking.
3) If my phone is plugged into a poor charger it has a warning low charge rate.
4) Even although it should make no difference, I have found turning plug 180 degs does some times make a difference.

I can't see the supply causing a problem, but I have had it where location has resulted in phone using more power to pole, maybe being inside a metal box. A caravan is a metal box. Not enough on its own, but poor lead and metal box maybe.

Took me a while to workout what a 'static' is... It's a caravan, yes?

So as ericmark reports a 'phone inside a caravan, particularly if it has metalised windows will act as a Farady cage and hence attenuates the wireless signal, the handset receives a low signal so will turn up it's transmit power to compensate. If the signal is so low that the handset is loosing service it will 'work harder' at trying to stay in service. Is the metal box earthed - a cable from the 'van to something metal in the ground, even a metal water pipe will earth the van and make the Faraday effect much worse.
Do you know where the local mast (Cell site) is? Is it in the direction through the majority of the caravan.
Or the handset could be switching between cells - again something that consumes battery power.

Sponsored Links
If as above, try putting the phone into airplane mode overnight, and see how it charges.
...and as most chargers are pretty universal 100 to 250V SM PSU's, I don't believe voltage variations should cause a charging issue!

4) Even although it should make no difference, I have found turning plug 180 degs does some times make a difference.

USB c only fits one way, it cannot be reversed. The modern Iphone charge lead can be fitted the wrong way, but what I find with the Iphone is that it includes 'smart charging' - it limits how much charge it will accept, based on how it predicts you will be making use of the phone after it is charged.

OBND, power from TT supply on caravan site via RCD and 16A breaker on 1,5 3c SWA.
Have not got test equipment, nor a sunlamp. No other appliances seem to be misbehaving.

Eric, the phone chargers and respective leads charge the phones OK when at home.

Diver yes it's a caravan, sorry!

Don't know where the cell site is.

Grinch, yes, the chargers are both 100V plus.

I will try airplane mode and see how it goes.

Thank you everyone so far.

USB c only fits one way, it cannot be reversed. The modern Iphone charge lead can be fitted the wrong way, but what I find with the Iphone is that it includes 'smart charging' - it limits how much charge it will accept, based on how it predicts you will be making use of the phone after it is charged.
1655551863465.pngType C can be reversed, it was the type B micro 1655551953122.pngwhich only fits one way. I used some thing like this 1655552061585.pngto work out the problems when I had them, and it turned out to be the cheap leads from Pound World which were type B micro which was the problem, they did charge but at a very low rate, less than the phone was using. Just plugged in my phone and charges at 1 amp in the socket selected part of a 3 gang 230 volt extension lead. A USB lead connected to a LAP top can be charging as low as 0.1 amp, as said before my phone alerts me if charging slow, I have not found any charging at 100 mA but many at only 300 mA, some were due to using 12 volt plug in devices, it seems many cig holder units have a low output, but most due to the lead, most the Pound World leads I have now got rid of, but without the tester near impossible to work out which leads are which.

Eric is correct, it can be reversed - I had it in mind that the c was the the trapezoid shape plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back