Mobile networks vs MVNO's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above. I’ve been on the Three network for a good few years. It works well, it’s not a bad price, has Wifi calling and a good app. I normally take out a fresh 12 month contract each year through a cash back site to get the best deal. Anyway, looking around this year I see that ID mobile which runs on the Three network offers a much better deal. Apart from also running 5G, it’s cheaper, it doesn’t increase each year by the RPI + 4%, it rolls over your data, it has a 30 day contract and gives truly free roaming in Europe. (Three allows roaming at £2 per day). It also has a much better rating than Three on Trustpilot! What’s the catch?

2AAFA89B-B3D6-425B-97E2-2C3AACD600D3.png

Sponsored Links
Never heard of ID mobile, thought Smarty was the low cost 3.

I've heard of it, in fact I used to have one of their PAYG sims a few years ago in a spare phone. ID have been going for quite a while. Smarty has been going since 2017

78746662-629B-4C93-B380-67B095F4F036.jpeg

Last edited:
It's a good deal.

I use sky, which offered similar, roll over, no roaming too (not sure if this is still the case?)
SKY are a Mobile Virtual Network Operator, as they use O² as their backbone.

I have no problem with MVNO or proper provider.

Sponsored Links
Looking around, most MVNO's offer a better deal than the network company they use. Weird or what?

Looking around, most MVNO's offer a better deal than the network company they use. Weird or what?

Plusnet too, they use EE, once Orange. Supposedly the most widespread coverage. I think the way it works is that Plusnet bulk buy minutes from EE, which saves them a bit and allows them to offer the minutes a bit cheaper. I did hear a rumour that EE cut down on call data/quality when sub letting, but I don't know if that is true.

This site says ID is owned by CarphoneWhorehouse. :)

So a subsidiary of a subsidiary of curries :)
Is the service as bad as at curries?

This site says ID is owned by CarphoneWhorehouse. :)

So a subsidiary of a subsidiary of curries :)
Is the service as bad as at curries?
Well, I've been happy with Three for years but look at the reviews they get compared to ID mobile!

03BA819D-B396-4FED-A2C7-46C83BE99F87.png

Because the service is worse
I've used the same phone on an MVNO and also on the parent network company in the same location and the 4G service on the parent company is far better.

I reckon the MVNO's concept works on the basis of the network selling idle/low usage time to the MVNO cheap who can then pass on the cheap costs to their customers. Written in to the agreement no doubt will be something that the network company can reduce the service level to the MVNO when its own customers are needing to use the service more and are loading the network/local tower.
That way the network company can benefit by someone (ie their mvno's) making use of their equipment when otherwise it would be at low utilization while mainting the ability to kick them off (ie reduce their 4G speed to next to nothing) when they need. all of which brings up the utilization of their network assets nearer to 100% and results in more revenue: and bonuses all round!

I'm on Id mobile, transferred from O2. The transfer was easy, the service okay. Unfortunately for me, I [incorrectly] thought they were on O2 base network, no I suffer from poor signal in the area I'm in (Suffolk Coastal). That's the fault of 3, rather than IdMobile.

It's the own-brand of Currys/PCWorld - not obvious until the paperwork came through. I'd use another virtual network again.

Nozzle

Well I suppose the good thing is that with most of the MVNO’s they are only a 30 day contract so won’t have to wait a year to leave if it’s crap! I’m used to a poor signal with any network in my house but it’s not a problem with Wifi calling.

I have found that three are crap near me, 02 was not much better, giff gaff (using 02) seems a OK.
Although I do have issues with using internet access via mobile.

Maybe I'll have to try EE next.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back