mobile phone mast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our local council have just dropped the bombshell that they would like to erect a 22.5m high lattice type mobile phone mast on our estate just 30m from the nearest houses and 100m from the nearest school.

We have a finite number of days in which to object, but the council will not accept health concerns or property de-valuation as grounds to stop planning approval. Has anybody successfully over turned planning permission for similar installations and if so what arguments did you use?

Sponsored Links
quite a few have been stopped down our way. They seem to be the ones that the locals all banded together on. I think there have also been some legal aspects that it can be prevented on. Have a look on the net, must be some groups on there.

failing that an angle grinder in the night!

Theres a few masts on top of one of our shops in sheffield. We must make a fortune from Hutchinson! All the boxes for it are on a single storey flat roof, the mast is right up on a tower on the roof, though you cant see it from the front of the building ;) sneaky or what. You object to a mast, they'll just put it elsewhere, somewhere hidden. Hypocrasy at its best. We all use and enjoy mobile phones, but hate seeing mobile phone masts. :rolleyes:

I wonder if, in years gone by we had disputed about errecting pylons or telegraph poles?
I wouldnt mind a phone mast nearby, I might get a better signal in my house !

Sponsored Links
eggplant said:
I wonder if, in years gone by we had disputed about errecting pylons or telegraph poles?

You will be able to make lots of calls to let people know that you are in negative equity and suffering from cancer because of the mast outside your front room :p

nstreet said:
eggplant said:

You will be able to make lots of calls to let people know that you are in negative equity and suffering from cancer because of the mast outside your front room :p

Firstly, let me start by saying that you are at no risk of getting cancer from mobile phone related radiation BUT IF you did believe that you were, then it would be to your advantage to have a mast as close to your house as possible.

IF there was a risk (and there isn't) then you would be in more danger from the phone which you have clamped to your head, than the mast. Your phone contains an adaptive power control which means that the weaker the signal received from the base station, the higher it turns up its output to compensate. This is why your battery runs down more quickly if you go and stay in some remote cottage for a week. So, the nearer to a mast you live, the lower the output from your phone, and the less the risk of contracting cancer (if you believe you can get it from a mobile, which you can't)

(None of which is to say that you can't contract cancer from high-power microwave radiation, it is just that all mobile related power that you will encounter is somewhere between low and very low in the scheme of things)

johnny_t said:
Firstly, let me start by saying that you are at no risk of getting cancer from mobile phone related radiation BUT IF you did believe that you were, then it would be to your advantage to have a mast as close to your house as possible.

IF there was a risk (and there isn't) then you would be in more danger from the phone which you have clamped to your head, than the mast. Your phone contains an adaptive power control which means that the weaker the signal received from the base station, the higher it turns up its output to compensate. This is why your battery runs down more quickly if you go and stay in some remote cottage for a week. So, the nearer to a mast you live, the lower the output from your phone, and the less the risk of contracting cancer (if you believe you can get it from a mobile, which you can't)

(None of which is to say that you can't contract cancer from high-power microwave radiation, it is just that all mobile related power that you will encounter is somewhere between low and very low in the scheme of things)

This has been a public information broadcast on behalf of our in-house Hutchison 3G representative (with advice from an extensive legal team) :LOL: ;)

johnny_t said:
nstreet said:
eggplant said:

I guess you must have a time machine and have travelled into the future 20 or so years and had a look at the studies that have been carried out.

There is no long term reseach into the effects of 3G communications as it hasn't been around long enough. Nobody can say it won't give you cancer.

We, the residents, are more concerned with other health issues such as headaches, nausea, tingling sensations, inablity to sleep and even frequent nose bleeds that occur in people living within a 200-300m radius of 3G masts. These have been documented and are fact.

noodlz said:
This has been a public information broadcast on behalf of our in-house Hutchison 3G representative (with advice from an extensive legal team) :LOL: ;)

:D Shhhh......they give me 400 free minutes and 200 texts for writing this guff................ ;)

nstreet said:
I guess you must have a time machine and have travelled into the future 20 or so years and had a look at the studies that have been carried out.

There is no long term reseach into the effects of 3G communications as it hasn't been around long enough. Nobody can say it won't give you cancer.

We, the residents, are more concerned with other health issues such as headaches, nausea, tingling sensations, inablity to sleep and even frequent nose bleeds that occur in people living within a 200-300m radius of 3G masts. These have been documented and are fact.

This is not intended to get into a point-for-point rebuttal that you would see from the bad old days of DIYNot (about two weeks ago) but 3G communications do not use some magic variant of microwave radiation, and the effects of old-fashioned microwave radiation are well documented.

Yes, you can say that until we have studied it until some infinite time in the distant future then it cannot be declared completely safe, but with every year that passes it becomes vanishingly unlikely that a problem will surface. Mobile phone usage has been widespread and extensive for long enough now that you would have seen a statistical lump with regard to head cancers.

As for the other effects you mention, I would humbly suggest that they are incidental, imaginary, or as a result of a placebo effect.

By all means object to it on aesthetic grounds, try to play up the health concerns if you want, but be aware that they are actually groundless and don't lose sleep. If I had a big ugly mast going up near me, I would soon change my spots and dress up some microwave theory and clever-speak at the local council meeting, to make them sound dangerous.

If you really want something to worry about, I'd go for pylons or having an electricity meter near a child's bedroom.

and marlboro said smoking was good for you in the fifties!

have them in your back yard if you want, ill still be out there with my angle grinder at night! :LOL:

Touche !! (Sorry, don't know how to put accents on)

But I still come back to my original point. IF you believe that this represents a health hazard, and if you use a mobile, it is still in your interests to be as near to a mast as possible.

If you own a mobile phone then your a hypocrite for not wanting a mobile phone mast near you.

Sponsored Links
Back