Mobile phones

S

Sombrero

... anyone up on phones? what's a good mobile phone these days?
(quite like a good camera if possible)..

Sponsored Links
I have done a lot of research over the years. I have a long-held ambition to replace my own mobile but it really has been a long-term process!

I'm not a snap purchaser.... ;)

Basically, it all boils down to what you are going to use it for, what your budget is, then personal things like whether your eyesight is good (eg mine isn't, so I want a larger screen) and whether you prefer one brand over another.

As far a cameras go, Sony do some good lenses, as are the ones in the latest Nokias (Carl Zeiss). The high-end Samsung cameras get good reviews too.

Do you want to Pay As You Go, or take a contract?

I was always a Nokia fan, but now they have gone with Windows, (and subsequently been bought out by MS), I've gone off them. I've switched allegiance to Samsung, which is handy, because I'm also a huge Android fan.

I'm also anti-Apple.

So, you see, there's a lot of personal preferences in there, as well as practical ones, influencing your choice, both consciously and subconsciously.

When you've worked out what you want your phone to do, you can then work out how much you will use it, what for and find a package to go with it.

What exactly do you want your phone to do?

I have done a lot of research over the years. I have a long-held ambition to replace my own mobile but it really has been a long-term process!

I'm not a snap purchaser.... ;)

Basically, it all boils down to what you are going to use it for, what your budget is, then personal things like whether your eyesight is good (eg mine isn't, so I want a larger screen) and whether you prefer one brand over another.

I was always a Nokia fan, but now they have gone with Windows, (and subsequently been bought out by MS), I've gone off them. I've switched allegiance to Samsung, which is handy, because I'm also a huge Android fan.

I'm also anti-Apple.

So, you see, there's a lot of personal preferences in there, as well as practical ones, influencing your choice, both consciously and subconsciously.

When you've worked out what you want your phone to do, you can then work out how much you will use it, what for and find a package to go with it.

What exactly do you want your phone to do?

Agree with all you say SSpark, and as I mentioned, the main thing, apart from being able to ring my kids, is a good camera.

So, you're not bothered about things like email, text, internet, making cups of tea, walking the dog etcetera?

Sponsored Links
All depends what your calling a "mobile phone". To me, a mobile phone, is just that. Capable of making phone calls and sending texts. Todays mobiles are completely different beasts though. You access the internet, download apps, take pictures and video in HD. You can almost organise your office on the go with these things they have today. My dad came back from holiday a few weeks ago and said to me, "Almost everyone was sat round the pool, texting on their phones". I thought about this then realised, it's people on smartphones, probably got the facebook or twitter app, or even playing some game etc. Instead of putting them down and looking round and probably enjoying their holiday, all they wanted to do was sit by the pool and login to facebook or bloody twitter. ;) ;)

Chances are if you want a decent camera, you'll probably get some of the other stuff. Whether you use it or not is another thing!

What have you got now & is it contract or PAYG? Who's your carrier?

Chances are if you want a decent camera, you'll probably get some of the other stuff. Whether you use it or not is another thing!

What have you got now & is it contract or PAYG? Who's your carrier?

I'm told I can go with anyone... and I want a cheap contract. But my question really is... what phone is winning all the polls?

... anyone up on phones? what's a good mobile phone these days?

I strongly recommend my £20 'big button' mobile phone.

It makes telephone calls and sends texts...
...oh, and it has a little LED torch.

And it has never let me down. :D

It all depends on your budget: what's cheap?? ;)

But, as always, even if your budget is tight, you can buy wisely.

If your budget is sub £100, the Huawei (say "wah-way") Y300 is a good 'un for the money. £70 PAYG or from £7.50 a month contract.

This gets you a 1730mAh battery, 1GHz dual core Snapdragon processor Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, 4" display. Screen resolution is 480x800, 233 pixels per inch. 5MP camera that can take 480p video Storage is 4GB of inbuilt memory plus microSD card slot takes up to 32GB card.

At the other end of the scale is the HTC One which gets rave reviews, but should: it costs £480 PAYG or from £27 a month contract.

This gets you a 2300mAh battery, 1.7GHz quad core Snapdragon 600 processor Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, 4.7" display. Screen resolution is 1080 HD, 469 pixels per inch. Ultrapixel 4MP camera with large light sensor for excellent low-light performance. Storage is 32GB of inbuilt memory.

There's no SD card slot with the HTC One so no memory expansion is possible beyond 32GB. Plus, the battery is fixed, so no swapping for a spare ready-charged one.

There's a lot of others in between!!

Take advice off securespark....... he has got a ology in mobile phones after all his postings in the last year or so..... I have also heard ,samsung ,apple,nokia and all the other big companies ring him up for advice

Ok, so I've done some legwork myself (thanks for nothing guys!!!) lol..

It's down to the following:

HTC One
Sony Xperia Z
Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Galaxy S4

Anyone own/know about these phones?
(I've realised i can get deals on all of these in my budget).

ive got the s3 i think its a great phone,when my contract is up i will probably go for the s4.
when i was looking around i took a looksie at the htc 1 dont like the fact that it was basically the same as the i phone as,the battery is sealed and no expansion capabilities.
ive had my s3 now for about 18 mths and im still finding new and different things on it,saying that theres an awful lot of bloat ware that comes with these phones,stuff that i have no need for,like twitterface etc.
also im paying about 35 quid p/mth iirc 1000 minutes talk time,3000 texts.5000 3 to 3 calls and unlimited internet,and dont use hardly any of it to be honest.

Ok, so I've done some legwork myself (thanks for nothing guys!!!) lol..

It's down to the following:

HTC One
Sony Xperia Z
Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Galaxy S4

Anyone own/know about these phones?
(I've realised i can get deals on all of these in my budget).

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: an S4 unless you want a phone or email app. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back