Mobile phones

Thanks all who contributed (apart from securespark who didn't really seem to put much effort in... ;) )

Eeeh, you feeky chucker! ;)

Oh hang on, I think I've found something my s4 might be ok at, it seems ok as a tethered modem.... i am on unlimited data .... aren't I???

3 allow it on certain tarrifs. But you're not with 3 from memory, are you?

Wait till next week and get the Xperia Z1, the most powerful smartphone to date with quad core processor, and comes with a 20.7mp camera. Waterproof also.

Be a hard phone to beat!

The S4 is an octo core in some markets. (I'm sure its still crap mind)

You're determined to hate it, aren't you? ;)

two years will be up before I know it anyway and the i-phone 17 will be out.

Wrong.

It'll be the iphone 17 S. ;)

they'll all be out of date by the time you decide.

:LOL: Should make a decision before December. Which year, I'm not sure.....

Sponsored Links
i thought i had read a ruling that all phones bought after a certain date were automatically unlocked,???

i can use mine tethering,as i have done on many occasions when my bb had problems.

Sponsored Links
until windows 8 "graced" our desktops!!

I don't like that much either. Windows 7 is the best so far in my humble opinion.

I'd better b*gger off now before I'm accused of changing the topic.

i thought i had read a ruling that all phones bought after a certain date were automatically unlocked,???

Not as far as I know.

All the phones you buy in O2, T Mobile, 3, Orange and EE and most in the supermarkets etcetera are locked to their networks.

You can unlock them, either by waiting a statutory period (which varies by manufacturer) then paying a fee upon which you will receive a code which will unlock the phone to other networks. The other way is to have a shufty on the interwebby for the codes yourself.

OR, buy an unlocked handest from the off. The other advantage of an unlocked handset is that it won't have any branding on the case or the startup screen, or any brand-related bloat-ware.

While I'm here and while I remember, I want to remind anyone upgrading a mobile about number porting. In case anyone doesn't know about this, you don't have to give up your mobile number if you want to move networks.

As long as you have ended your contract (assuming you have one), and don't owe any money to your provider, they must give you a PAC (Port Authorisation Code) if you ask for one.

This is a series of letters and numbers, usually three letters and 6 numbers, which is normally valid for a month.

A PAC is usually free, but some providers (I am told) make a small charge. It has never happened to me, and I've ported from One2One, Orange, Virgin, Vodafone, O2, Asda Mobile and T Mobile.

If you're on a contract, it varies as to what you need to do. Some companies will only port your number at the time of purchase and not after, others will do it either at the time of purchase or afterwards and others will only do it afterwards.

See this link from the Car Phone Warehouse:

http://selfhelp.carphonewarehouse.c...iew()=c{ec7fe140-e8b2-11de-da00-000000000000}

Your number will be connected within a few days and there is usually a period where neither the old SIM or the new SIM work, while they are transferring the number. You should be advised of the changeover date by your provider.

Things to be aware of:

You cannot transfer disconnected numbers so DO NOT cancel your existing contract or PAYG or SIM-only SIM if you wish to port your mobile number. To transfer your number, when you provide your PAC number to a new network the cancellation process will begin automatically with your old network.

Once the changeover is complete, your old SIM will be useless, so make sure you have transferred any data (contacts, etcetera) from it before the changeover date, or you will lose that data.

BTW, I know I keep mentioning CPW. Just to let you know....I don't work for them, or earn any commission...I just buy stuff there!

securespark";p="2878536 said:
Once the changeover is complete, your old SIM will be useless, so make sure you have transferred any data (contacts, etcetera) from it before the changeover date, or you will lose that data.

I my experience this is not the case. Every single phone I've ever had since a black and white nokia will say "sim card regiatration failed" or similar on a disconnected SIM but it's still possible to access the phone numbers and text messages thereon.. If your phone prevented you from doing so, it was a function of the phone, not the sim

Are you sure the numbers were on the SIM and not in the phone memory?

Because it is possible to save them in both places.

I'm talking about nokia phones so old they didn't have their own memory :)

Just because a SIM won't register on the network doesn't mean it doesn't work in a phone, and there's nothing the network can do to remotely erase it. Put your phone in flight mode then pop an old deactivated SIM in - the phone will never contact the network to find out if the SIM is registered or not, and it'll browse the contents. If it won't, it's the phone software inhibiting that, not the SIM's ;)

Sponsored Links
Back