Mobile phones

You've done the legwork?? Ahem....and who put you on to the HTC One?? ;)

You have to be aware, as I've said, that some phones have fixed batteries and others have memories that are not expandable. So, if you want to have extra storage, or the ability to swap to a spare battery, you need to bear this in mind.

There are versions of the Xperia and S4 that are IP rated and can be used to take pictures under water. Bear in mind, though, that you have to close off all ports to ensure water tightness.

S III is the oldest phone on your list. Having said that, it was only launched in May 2012!

It has an 8 MP camera (1.9 MP on front), 2100 mAh battery, quad core 1.4 GHz processor.

S4 is this year's model, launched April 2013. It has a much improved spec, with a 13 MP camera (2 MP on front) 2600mAh battery, quad core 1.9 GHz processor.

S4 Active has the IP rating. It only has an 8 MP camera on the rear.

The Xperia Z has a 13 MP camera (2.2 MP on front), 2330 mAh battery, quad core 1.5 GHz processor.

Best thing to do now is go and look at them in the shops. Try and arrange to visit shops where they have a live demo model, so you can see it working.

When it comes to buying, nearly all phones (unless you buy them SIM-free) are locked to a network.

It may be worth bearing in mind that if you buy it from CPW, at the end of the contract you can use it with another SIM, as chances are it will be unlocked. If you want to do this, ask before you buy, to make sure the phone you choose is unlocked.

My final piece of advice is to shop around when buying a contract phone.

THIS IS CRUCIAL, unless you enjoy throwing away literally hundreds of pounds.

I have, over the last year, researched many contracts, comparing like with like.

For example, I looked at a Note II with T Mobile. All contracts offered the same number of minutes, texts and amount of data. The most expensive contract was £200 dearer than the cheapest over the 24 month period!

Rather like buying a car, don't focus on the new car price, or the trade in price, but the "cost-to-change".

I have found that the retailers play to the public's liking for "something for nothing".

Contracts with a "free" phone are usually more expensive than those where you pay for the phone.

Look at the total cost over the 24 months (monthly fee plus phone cost), then divide it by 24, then you can compare like with like.

Sponsored Links
Take advice off securespark....... he has got a ology in mobile phones after all his postings in the last year or so..... I have also heard ,samsung ,apple,nokia and all the other big companies ring him up for advice

Thank you, thank you, most kind!!!
;)

The best camera at the moment is on the new Nokia Lumia. It has the highest resolution. But if you're looking for good night shots try the htc one. its got the best low light camera around.

I'm in the same boat. i'm torn between 4 or 5 phones with none having the edge. Heres my 2p worth.

HTC One - great screen but too tall due to speakers and not 5inch and has a silly big bezel

Samsung S4 - big plasticky phone covered in bloatware

Sony Experia Z - Nice form factor but the screen sucks - its waterproof tho! but all glass so probably prone to shattering when dropped

LG G2 - 5.2 in screen with small bezel but plasticky back

hope that helps

Take advice off securespark....... he has got a ology in mobile phones after all his postings in the last year or so..... I have also heard ,samsung ,apple,nokia and all the other big companies ring him up for advice

Thank you, thank you, most kind!!! ;)

No probs secure... I will be after advice soon myself so I will come to your fountain of knowledge when I need it ;) ;)
;)

Sponsored Links
You've done the legwork?? Ahem....and who put you on to the HTC One?? ;)

You have to be aware, as I've said, that some phones have fixed batteries and others have memories that are not expandable. So, if you want to have extra storage, or the ability to swap to a spare battery, you need to bear this in mind.

There are versions of the Xperia and S4 that are IP rated and can be used to take pictures under water. Bear in mind, though, that you have to close off all ports to ensure water tightness.

S III is the oldest phone on your list. Having said that, it was only launched in May 2012!

It has an 8 MP camera (1.9 MP on front), 2100 mAh battery, quad core 1.4 GHz processor.

S4 is this year's model, launched April 2013. It has a much improved spec, with a 13 MP camera (2 MP on front) 2600mAh battery, quad core 1.9 GHz processor.

S4 Active has the IP rating. It only has an 8 MP camera on the rear.

The Xperia Z has a 13 MP camera (2.2 MP on front), 2330 mAh battery, quad core 1.5 GHz processor.

Best thing to do now is go and look at them in the shops. Try and arrange to visit shops where they have a live demo model, so you can see it working.

When it comes to buying, nearly all phones (unless you buy them SIM-free) are locked to a network.

It may be worth bearing in mind that if you buy it from CPW, at the end of the contract you can use it with another SIM, as chances are it will be unlocked. If you want to do this, ask before you buy, to make sure the phone you choose is unlocked.

My final piece of advice is to shop around when buying a contract phone.

THIS IS CRUCIAL, unless you enjoy throwing away literally hundreds of pounds.

I have, over the last year, researched many contracts, comparing like with like.

For example, I looked at a Note II with T Mobile. All contracts offered the same number of minutes, texts and amount of data. The most expensive contract was £200 dearer than the cheapest over the 24 month period!

Rather like buying a car, don't focus on the new car price, or the trade in price, but the "cost-to-change".

I have found that the retailers play to the public's liking for "something for nothing".

Contracts with a "free" phone are usually more expensive than those where you pay for the phone.

Look at the total cost over the 24 months (monthly fee plus phone cost), then divide it by 24, then you can compare like with like.

Bit like painting the forth bridge with all the research you do!! As they'll all be out of date by the time you decide. ;)

Oh hang on, I think I've found something my s4 might be ok at, it seems ok as a tethered modem.... i am on unlimited data .... aren't I???

I'd check with your network to see if they allow tethering, i know some frown upon it, but if they allow it you do really need to be on unlimited data

think I might just take the plunge and buy one.... two years will be up before I know it anyway and the i-phone 17 will be out.

Thanks all who contributed (apart from securespark who didn't really seem to put much effort in... ;) )

Wait till next week and get the Xperia Z1, the most powerful smartphone to date with quad core processor, and comes with a 20.7mp camera. Waterproof also.

Be a hard phone to beat!

Wait till next week and get the Xperia Z1, the most powerful smartphone to date with quad core processor, and comes with a 20.7mp camera. Waterproof also.

Be a hard phone to beat!

Damn !! that's the problem though, you're not at the front for long !! I normally prefer to be on the trailing edge of technology, that way it's all tried and tested !

Be a hard phone to beat!

The S4 is an octo core in some markets. (I'm sure its still crap mind)

Be a hard phone to beat!

The S4 is an octo core in some markets. (I'm sure its still crap mind)

The S4 is only clocked at 1.9Ghz, the Z1 is 2.2Ghz. I cant see anything beating it for a while.

Be a hard phone to beat!

Damn !! that's the problem though, you're not at the front for long !! I normally prefer to be on the trailing edge of technology, that way it's all tried and tested !
And cheaper

I try to live in the past, as far as technology is concerned.

If you live 10 years in the past, you can live the life of luxury! Generally.

Be a hard phone to beat!

A very sensible philosophy. I have seen pictures of queues a mile long to be first to obtain the latest phone. Then, as often as not they find that it has unforeseen problems.

I could draw an analogy with Windows. When the XP version was in vogue people were generally happy with it. Then they brought out Vista and many people thought they'd 'upgrade' to 'something better'. After it came out, of course, they found out that it was one of the most cr@p windows they'd ever seen!

Be a hard phone to beat!

A very sensible philosophy. I have seen pictures of queues a mile long to be first to obtain the latest phone. Then, as often as not they find that it has unforeseen problems.

I could draw an analogy with Windows. When the XP version was in vogue people were generally happy with it. Then they brought out Vista and many people thought they'd 'upgrade' to 'something better'. After it came out, of course, they found out that it was one of the most cr@p windows they'd ever seen!

until windows 8 "graced" our desktops!!

Sponsored Links
Back