modify urmet door phone ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, sorry if is in the wrong place.
i really cant be doing with this door phone anymore, its just too loud, seriously, it makes me jump sometimes even tho my living room to the phone is a good 10 meters away.
there isnt any kind of volume on it that i can see and theres no point trying to get the council to replace it, i'll be waiting till xmas lol

i'd like to know if i could connect it to a cheap doorbell/chime thing like this?
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...ogId=1500002201&langId=-1&searchTerms=8682884

or if theres anything i can do to that buzzer thing at the top right of the phone, cause im guessing thats whats making the noise??

thanks for any help :)

56225432.jpg

22674264.jpg

42417636.jpg

Sponsored Links
hi guys, sorry if is in the wrong place.
or if theres anything i can do to that buzzer thing at the top right of the phone, cause im guessing thats whats making the noise??

These usually work on about 12 V AC, which is a bit over voltage for most door chimes but given they have a very light duty cycle it's not usually a problem.

You could disconnect the 2 wires to the buzzer and connect them to something like a Friedland Facet chime

If you fiddle mechanically with the buzzer they tend to be anaemic or intrusive, no comfortable middle ground.

The chime you suggested is a wireless one, so not compatible. [/url]

You could also try putting a resistor in series with the buzzer. You would probablly need to experiment a bit to find an appropriate value (100 ohm would probablly be a reasonable starting point).

Sponsored Links
You could also try putting a resistor in series with the buzzer. You would probablly need to experiment a bit to find an appropriate value (100 ohm would probablly be a reasonable starting point).

This might cause a problem if the system feeds the buzzers via the coil of a relay to detect that any one of the buttons has been pressed. ( cheaper than have push buttons with two contacts )

Try adding some weigh to the armature to increase its inertia and thus slow down its acceleration. Then it won't move so far and should make less noise. Use BluTack to find out if it works and how much gives best results.

You could change the handset. But all of that type will resonate the same.
Easy fix is a small piece of sponge on the soleniod plate.

i have a similar system which like this one has number cable ports. mywife bought a new door entry handset (Bell 801) but this has letter cable ports.

anyone know how to configure the wires. i can get the intercom to work so i can speak to people outside and i can open the door but it doesnt ring when someone presses the button from outside.

old system uses ports 10, 2, 9, 7, 1
new one uses ports T, R, O, Z, I

this is driving me mad.

R=Speech to door
O=Common
T=Speech from door
I=Buzzer
Z=Door Release

Do not seem to recognise the old one, can you confirm the make. Sounds like an ACET but need to know to supply direct conversion chart.
If it is you may have to put a 500ohm ( see post above about adding resistors, generally bit is a 500 ohm needed) one in series with the Speech from door.

Let me know the make and i`ll get a direct conversion for you.

Okay then, 7 was the ringer on them.

Checked the cores for contuniuty?

Thinking about it there may have been a seperate common for the ringer as well.
Tie the outside bell to O in the handset and the other side to the ringer, should sort it.

I know this is an old post but I thought it good to post up a warning about modifying handsets.

If you have this fitted in a council or housing association run flat, then modifying the handset could lead you to an expensive bill.

I repair these for some local authorities and if the tennant has modified, removed or smashed up and handset, we charge the authority for a call out fee and replacement parts and the authority then pass this charge on to the tennant. Typical call out charges are £180 + VAT, then parts on top. Yes, you can find the handset cheaper elsewhere and fit yourself, but 9 times out of ten it is easy to spot when we have not fitted the handset and this gets classed as vandalism under the contract with the local authority and remedial work is chargeable. Remember, your tennantcy aggreement is with the local authority and such modifications are breaking that agreement.

If there is a real problem with the buzzer noise level etc, contact the local authority and they can arrange for their contractor to visit under the contract and therefore the cost does not get passed on to the resident.

£180 a call out to a local authority
Need to up my rates.
Do you not work to their schedule then?

£180 a call out to a local authority
Need to up my rates.
Do you not work to their schedule then?
Looked like a sales post to me. As in, business a bit flat so try drum some up using the old fear factor.

And yes, need to review my prices.

I must admit, when working for housing sectors you can never tell who has done any previous work unless there is stickers all over the place.
And proving who may have done it is virtually impossible.

This part tickles me
if the tennant has modified, removed or smashed up and handset, we charge the authority for a call out fee
, so does this mean if it is none of the above the job is free and gratis?

Again, no housing public or private is going to pay those rates. When they can pick and choose who they want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back