Modifying wardrobes...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will adjustable kitchen base unit legs take the weight of a double base unit?

or should I beef up the base first?

I need to raise the units by 8inches

Sponsored Links
You want to fit kitchen unit legs to a wardrobe?

For a double unit (so approx 100cm x 55cm) a leg at each corner and one in the middle should do it, as long as the unit is screwed to the wall.

The legs can take a large down force, but a slight sideways and they collapse!

You want to fit kitchen unit legs to a wardrobe?

For a double unit (so approx 100cm x 55cm) a leg at each corner and one in the middle should do it, as long as the unit is screwed to the wall.

The legs can take a large down force, but a slight sideways and they collapse!

Thanks that was the answer I was hoping for!!!!

..........after all they are used on larder type units which take a similar weight

Sponsored Links
Simple enough to make a frame 8" high, to sit the wardrobe on.

..........I usually do build a frame, but this time I was hoping to keep the whole thing more simple and easier to adjust (wobbly floor!)

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20049538/

How much :eek: :eek: :eek:

.......seriously though - I am building up approx. 8inch so that I can fit skirting board to match rest of room so nice though those are I think I will stick to cheaper plastic ones!

.........this post was just to confirm that it would work,

thanks everyone

Only if you fix wardrobe to wall any movement and plastic will snap like carrots.
Sorry if you found £11 expensive, thought Scrooge was only in Dickens novels.

if your raising it to install skirts and you want to raise it 8 inches then just get a couple of lengths of 4x2 and sit the wardrobe on them and fix the skirts to the timber.make sure you fix the wardrobe to the wall.
seems like your over complicating something that really doesnt need to be m8 ;) .

if your raising it to install skirts and you want to raise it 8 inches then just get a couple of lengths of 4x2 and sit the wardrobe on them and fix the skirts to the timber.make sure you fix the wardrobe to the wall.
seems like your over complicating something that really doesnt need to be m8 ;) .
Maybe we need a sticky that states tell us the problem not ''your problem with your solution? :unsure:

Thanks for your input but as I explained above the floor is badly out of level

building a plinth type structure would require serious packing and fiddling

......this is why I was hoping adjustable feet would work

Only if you fix wardrobe to wall any movement and plastic will snap like carrots.

Ah but at 5 per unit, on a run of 4 units I would require 20!

and £11 x 20 equals £211 :eek:

and they are going to be covered with skirting board

I will of course be "firmly" fixing everything to the wall

Ah but at 5 per unit, on a run of 4 units I would require 20!

and £11 x 20 equals £211 :eek:

and they are going to be covered with skirting board

I will of course be "firmly" fixing everything to the wall

The price was for a pack of 4. But anyway as they are not adjustable, they do not do what you need them to anyway, so the kitchen ones will be a lot better!

You could do it with 3 packs £33.
They are adjustable Gregers.
No mention of more than one unit, if only you had provided accurate info. :rolleyes:

if your levels are so badly out.your skirtings are going to look really good :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back