Moisture Issue in Loft New Build

Sponsored Links
I've not heard that would be the case TBH, When I spoke to my Architect friend, he said that major builders usually have an understanding with the NHBC, In which they only check 1/25 Properties to make sure that they have followed strict guidelines before the 10-Year Warranty is signed Off...But don't Quote me on that....But as far as I know, no Structural Engineer was Involved & I never heard her mention it...Interesting

Haha **** me, who thought that was a good idea?!.

Wait, probs the industry regulators. Go figure.

Std practice in Ireland is for new builds to be completed with regular inspections by the owners nominated engineering representative.
Whilst they too, just mostly surf the paperwork, they do catch stuff. A good name in Ireland goes a long way so overall, it works out.

Sponsored Links

Is that because he’s from Merseyside? :LOL::LOL:

upload_2021-12-7_21-10-10.jpeg

OK, A little update....

A Persimmon Inspector came & inspected the issues today...

He said that there are a few areas where the Loft Insulation has been removed, probably by the Loft Installation Company, so said that if this is replaced, then that should help...Didn't condemn the boarding as such, which was very nice of him....

Secondly, he said, without any input from yours truly, that Persimmon will treat the mold in the bedroom & Redecorate...& we have also found in the last few Days, when cleaning out the cupboards in the Kitchen that there is damp & mold forming in a small cupboard & in the sink cupboard, so they will replace & make good any necessary work that is required, again without any prompting from yours truly....

He put this down to the normal drying process of new Builds which can take 12/18 months to "sort itself out"

So all in all a positive result, I have purchased 20x Felt Lap Vents to Fit in the Loft & have told my Daughter that I will run a Dual 13A Socket into the Loft Space in the Spring/Summer when it is warmer, & Buy a Couple of Fans & Smart Plugs so that they can be controlled by Alexa to increase the Ventilation & Airflow in the Loft even further...

Don't mind doing my bit to get things on the right track...

Wasn't expecting Persimmon to be so accommodating, so was pleasantly surprised...

The cynic in me says that they know there is a problem, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt....Will Update thread accordingly, once certain milestones have been reached...

P.S I now Live on Merseyside as some posters have alluded to & I do support the best Footy Team on the Planet & it is not Everton......

.... new build houses are designed to by somewhat airtight and do not suffer high humidity anything like as well as the traditional house build. Couple this with, i imagine, zero instruction from the house builder as to how to operate the house correctly and you have multiple condensation issues in many parts of the house.
I don't agree with you that airtightness reduces the risk of high humidity, quite the reverse, airtightness can increase the risk of high humidity.
There's lots of factors involved in increasing humidity inside the home, besides damp air entering from outside. Without sensible ventilation that humidity can become condensation.

Maybe a stupid question, but you have checked that the extractor vent from the bathroom does actually connect to the outside? The reason I ask is because when we bought a new build a good few years ago, we had condensation in the loft and we found the pipe connecting extractor to installed soffit vent wasn't actually connected at both ends and was underneath the insulation that had been laid on top. Reconnected, and the problem went away....

Maybe a stupid question, but you have checked that the extractor vent from the bathroom does actually connect to the outside? The reason I ask is because when we bought a new build a good few years ago, we had condensation in the loft and we found the pipe connecting extractor to installed soffit vent wasn't actually connected at both ends and was underneath the insulation that had been laid on top. Reconnected, and the problem went away....

Exactly the same issue I have had, hooked it up myself in the end on the bathroom side but can't reach the soffit end so will need to get it sorted before I start using the bathroom.

damp air entering from outside

you mean, "air that has a high relative humidity at outside temperatures"

which becomes dry air "air that has a low relative humidity at indoor temperatures" as soon as it warms up, even though the number of water molecules has not changed.

which is why ventilating outdoor air into the house, and ventilating indoor air out of the house, reduces damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back