Moisture Issue in Loft New Build

The OP wrote 'Crux of the Matter is we Contacted Persimmon, the House Builder & they are coming out to investigate on the 14th, we told them of the boards & they have already said that if the boards are the issue, then they will wash their hands of any liability, only Part of the Loft has been boarded & the boarding is on Stilts so nothing is really "enclosed"....'

Like I said I'm a pretty Pathetic DIYer, So Sorry I think the Loft Fitting Company used Stand-Off's & Not Stilts!!!! Installation Video has been posted in an earlier Post.....

I would interpret 'stilts' as legs, or stand off's, but perhaps the OP could enlarge on that point?

Sponsored Links
Just a quick Thank You to everyone that has contributed on the Thread...Very very much appreciated & lots to think about......

The new floor, is spaced well above the insulation level and I can see at least some insulation poking out below it, although in appears to have been disturbed a bit. Hence we cannot be certain about the insulation below the new floor. There is a rather large pile of it in one corner, for some reason.

Sponsored Links
The new floor, is spaced well above the insulation level and I can see at least some insulation poking out below it, although in appears to have been disturbed a bit. Hence we cannot be certain about the insulation below the new floor. There is a rather large pile of it in one corner, for some reason.

Yes I saw that too...When I fitted the LED Lights, before the Floor was laid, I was taken aback by the amount of Insulation that was in the loft at the time, maybe 2/3 layers thick, thought it strange, but what I disturbed running the cables for the lights I put back....As I've said, If Persimmon say to put everything back to normal I will & take it from there....

Not the floor installers then, just ripping the insulation out of the way to lay the floor. I think Persimmon will blame the floor - their clutching at straws, but do you know if that plasterboard is foil backed or not. I think someone said earlier that it was required to be foil?

My/your big concern is the signs of mould below, behind cupboards and drawers. They might be able to blame that on your daughters lifestyle - drying clothes, boiling pans without lids and etc.. If not that, it could just be the building fabric still drying out, although 8 months, the mould might have appeared when she moved in?

Not the floor installers then, just ripping the insulation out of the way to lay the floor. I think Persimmon will blame the floor - their clutching at straws, but do you know if that plasterboard is foil backed or not. I Will ask the Question....I think someone said earlier that it was required to be foil?

My/your big concern is the signs of mould below, behind cupboards and drawers. My Architect Friend did say to move the Bed & Bedside Cabinets out a bit so there is more Air-Flow, They might be able to blame that on your daughters lifestyle - drying clothes, boiling pans without lids and etc.. If not that, it could just be the building fabric still drying out, although 8 months, the mould might have appeared when she moved in?

An Architect friend of mine has suggested that it might be due to some Poor Cavity Wall Insulation or No Insulation at all!! He has recommended I take a Thermal Camera round & Check both Inside & Outside Wall for Cold Spots, I can borrow one from work for the Day....He also said that it might be idea to get a Surveyor to Drill a Hole in the Wall & Put a Camera Down, to see what Insulation has actually been provided?? The House is an End Terrace & South-West facing, so Open to All that the Great British Weather can throw at it...

He Did also say that if they blamed the Loft Boarding, that would be "*******s"....So we will see....

Did your daughter not have a structural engineer oversee the build on behalf of the mortgage company? (Normal practice).
If so, give them a call, explain the situation and ask them for an explanation as it would be them signing of the build at the various stages of construction.

An Architect friend of mine has suggested that it might be due to some Poor Cavity Wall Insulation or No Insulation at all!! He has recommended I take a Thermal Camera round & Check both Inside & Outside Wall for Cold Spots, I can borrow one from work for the Day....He also said that it might be idea to get a Surveyor to Drill a Hole in the Wall & Put a Camera Down, to see what Insulation has actually been provided?? The House is an End Terrace & South-West facing, so Open to All that the Great British Weather can throw at it...

He Did also say that if they blamed the Loft Boarding, that would be "*******s"....So we will see....

There are lots of complaints about Persimmon skimping on what is not seen, there were several cases on TV just last week, where they had omitted all the insulation from several houses. Best to sort it out now, than later when it might become unsaleable until properly fixed.

I agree that the new floor should make no difference at all. Anyway, see what P have to say when they turn up, just make it clear being fobbed off will not work. Good luck!

Did your daughter not have a structural engineer oversee the build on behalf of the mortgage company? (Normal practice).
If so, give them a call, explain the situation and ask them for an explanation as it would be them signing of the build at the various stages of construction.

I've not heard that would be the case TBH, When I spoke to my Architect friend, he said that major builders usually have an understanding with the NHBC, In which they only check 1/25 Properties to make sure that they have followed strict guidelines before the 10-Year Warranty is signed Off...But don't Quote me on that....But as far as I know, no Structural Engineer was Involved & I never heard her mention it...Interesting

There are lots of complaints about Persimmon skimping on what is not seen, there were several cases on TV just last week, where they had omitted all the insulation from several houses. Best to sort it out now, than later when it might become unsaleable until properly fixed.

I agree that the new floor should make no difference at all. Anyway, see what P have to say when they turn up, just make it clear being fobbed off will not work. Good luck!

Absolutely, We don't intend to wait until The NHBC Warranty Runs Out.....One way or another it will hopefully be sorted...

One could be mistaken for this having lots of moderator changes :LOL: tell me @Grzyb, red your favourite colour? Liverpool fan by any chance?

I'm not sure how anyone can go straight to "no cavity wall insulation" as a most likely cause of condensation on a roof membrane. o_O

I've not heard that would be the case TBH, When I spoke to my Architect friend, he said that major builders usually have an understanding with the NHBC, In which they only check 1/25 Properties to make sure that they have followed strict guidelines before the 10-Year Warranty is signed Off...But don't Quote me on that....But as far as I know, no Structural Engineer was Involved & I never heard her mention it...Interesting

From experience of other similar organisations - the company will decide which property will be the one to be inspected ahead of time, so they make an especially good job of it so it will pass. The standard of the other 24 will not matter, unless the new owner complains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back