Molded plug to normal one

Sponsored Links
I sometimes wonder if it would be worth getting rid of my TVs, just for the fun I would have in totally ignoring all the letters demanding to know why I didn't have a licence
No need to get rid of the TV sets to be legal, just disconnect from all applicable sources and stop watching broadcast television. You do not need a license merely to be in possession of a functioning TV, nor to use it for watching tapes, DVD's, etc.

But as somebody who spent his last few years in England in such a position, I received a regular Threat-O-Gram from TVL in Bristol on average about every 4 to 6 weeks. The letters have become really quite intimidating and are full of half-truths and misleading statements intended to scare people into getting a license. They have a sequence of increasingly threatening sounding letters suggesting that each time they're a stage closer to getting you, but the joke is that after a few months they then just start rigfht back at the beginning of the chain again.

(I am assuming that I would not be under any legal obligation to reply to them),
No. Although they'll do everything they can to try and convince people otherwise, there's no obligation to call, reply to the letters, talk to anyone they send to your door, or to let him in (unless he has a search warrant). All evidence from others who have tried suggest it does absolutely no good anyway, and they'll continue the campaign of harassment, Any other organization behaving the same way would likely be under investigation for demanding money with menaces.....

No. Although they'll do everything they can to try and convince people otherwise, there's no obligation to call, reply to the letters, talk to anyone they send to your door, or to let him in (unless he has a search warrant). All evidence from others who have tried suggest it does absolutely no good anyway, and they'll continue the campaign of harassment, Any other organization behaving the same way would likely be under investigation for demanding money with menaces.....
It's only harassment if you take any notice of it.

Sponsored Links
Apparently if you point out that they are being filmed, either if you have CCTV or you just start filming them on your mobile phone... they leave. Its something to do with the amount of clips of their opperatives not behaving in a professional manner posted on you tube that they are instructed just to leave if being filmed

I am frequently disturbed by the fact that within a few days of notifying the utilities that a flat has been vacated a letter from TV Licencing arrives for the 'new occupier'.

Apparently if you point out that they are being filmed, either if you have CCTV or you just start filming them on your mobile phone... they leave. Its something to do with the amount of clips of their opperatives not behaving in a professional manner posted on you tube that they are instructed just to leave if being filmed
Sounds like a jolly good reason to not inform them.

I received a regular Threat-O-Gram from TVL in Bristol on average about every 4 to 6 weeks.
Have you actually notified them that you don't need a TV license?
Why should he have to?

Would you expect the relevant "authorities" to keep contacting people asking why they haven't got a driving licence? Or a licence to sell alcohol?

Because they assume every household in the country watches TV (and they're right; 95% do need a license).
IDGAS.

Notify them and you stop getting their 'junk' mail. No biggie.
It is a biggie.

I should not have to tell them that I do not need something.

As it happens, like the 95% I do need one, and like a slightly lower % I do have one, and I'm not really going to give up having a TV just to provoke conflict with them (and the rest of the family won't join me in stopping watching when the day comes that there are no channels without DOGs).

But were I in the 5%, I would not cooperate with them to the slightest degree - WTF should I?

It is a biggie. I should not have to tell them that I do not need something.
When 95% of people already use a public service*, it's reasonable for them to assume you do too, unless you say otherwise. If you want to live without modern society's expectations then you need to go 'off grid'.

*Yeah yeah, let's not get into whether the BBC really provides a 'public service' anymore :censored:

Last edited:
Have you actually notified them that you don't need a TV license? I did, and haven't received a letter for over 3 years.
I never bothered, although I know others who have. It sounds as though you're one of the fortunate ones going that long, as last I heard they normally say that they'll leave you alone for up to 2 years, but "reserve the right" to contact you again after that time because "the situation may have changed." But I've seen plenty of reports from people where they've tried and the threatening letters have started arriving again after as little as 6 months.

There's also the point that in many cases even after telling TVL that you have no need of a license they'll still write back and insist that they must "send somebody to confirm the situation," i.e. they won't believe you unless you let one of their goons into your house to snoop around.

There's also the point that in many cases even after telling TVL that you have no need of a license they'll still write back and insist that they must "send somebody to confirm the situation,".
Yes after notifying them they sent me an email to say they might send someone to check, but nobody came. It may be where I live -I think they focus on rougher areas.

I am frequently disturbed by the fact that within a few days of notifying the utilities that a flat has been vacated a letter from TV Licencing arrives for the 'new occupier'.
And don't forget that all the big retailers also notify TVL when you purchase anything which is capable of receiving TV broadcasts (they're not required to verify the address you give, but they are obliged to take an address and pass it on). So even if you've managed to get TVL off your back for a while, if you go and buy a TV, off-air DVD recorder, tuner card for your PC, etc. and give your real address, then that cancels the "leave me alone for now" status on your address and the threatening letters will start to arrive again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back