Relocation of new main supply outside with white cabinet

Sponsored Links
Gas readers are a bit better, they got it right after two years.
I'm not sure I agree. I was working is a house a few years ago, (OK probably 30 years ago) and the house owner suggested sitting and have a nice cup of tea and ignoring the doorbell. After a few rings the door was smashed open by the gas company and the police. They wanted to read the meter as was their right. The house owner then suggested that they looked at the side of the house where the gas meter was in a nice white box. He had paid a lot of money to have it moved. The result was a nice new front door paid for by the gas board. The house owner was fed up with estimated bills etc so he had paid to have the meter moved but it changed nothing.

Sponsored Links
Gas readers are a bit better, they got it right after two years.
I'm not sure I agree. I was working is a house a few years ago, (OK probably 30 years ago) and the house owner suggested sitting and have a nice cup of tea and ignoring the doorbell. After a few rings the door was smashed open by the gas company and the police. They wanted to read the meter as was their right. The house owner then suggested that they looked at the side of the house where the gas meter was in a nice white box. He had paid a lot of money to have it moved. The result was a nice new front door paid for by the gas board. The house owner was fed up with estimated bills etc so he had paid to have the meter moved but it changed nothing.
My first house didn't have mains gas. That didn't worry the gas company, who sent a meter reader 4 times a year. One year I got fed up with this, and when the meter reader tried to push me aside to come in my house, I threw him out. He came back later with the local copper, who I invited in to inspect my meter cupboard. Since he was a nice guy, and the kettle was on, I gave him a cuppa and a biccie, while telling him about the continual harassment by gas meter readers, while the offender waited outside.
When they left, there were some strong remarks made by the copper to the meter reader, who I never saw again.

I know someone who did a sort of opposite with a TV licence enforcer, when he didn't have a TV.

After simply ignoring all the letters, when someone eventually turned up he let him in, and was very friendly to him - tea, biccies etc. He said he managed to keep the guy there for about 30 minutes before divulging that he didn't have a TV, and showing him round the bedsit. Apparently the guy went ballistic and threatened all sorts of repercussions for wasting his time. "Bring it on", he said.

I think he was disappointed that they didn't try to do anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back