Relocation of new main supply outside with white cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to possibly have my mains electric head thing moved outside. As I have two mains cables coming in from the street to either side of my house (one to feed the house and one for an annex flat above the garage), I will decide which to terminate.

However, I would like to know whether if I decided to have one move to the side of the house so that the white cabinet doesn't show on the front elevation, how do meter readers know where the meter is located. Do the electric board have this information stored on their system as to where to locate it?

Sponsored Links
Yes it is included as information on the detail the reader has, often though it takes some time so on the first reading the reader may struggle. Once it is "found" a MR can update the record themselves

Yes it is included as information on the detail the reader has, often though it takes some time so on the first reading the reader may struggle. Once it is "found" a MR can update the record themselves
If only........ I still get readers knocking on the front door and asking if they can come in to read the meter. My meter is on the wall at the back of the cottage which is on a street corner, the meter box can be clearly seen from the side turning.

Gas readers are a bit better, they got it right after two years.

I hope you don't mind me asking a related question, but slightly off-topic.

I expect to have an external meter and cut-out fitted, including an isolating switch - eventually! Is it possible to have these enclosed within a lockable box?
It's just that I'm a little concerned that, one day, one of the passing 'gentlemen' on the way back from the pub might see it and decide to turn off my supply for a little joke! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Lots of people have external meter boxes - is it common for them to be tampered with?

If you are that worried have the isolator indoors.

Lots of people have external meter boxes - is it common for them to be tampered with?

If you are that worried have the isolator indoors.
I can't really, or I'd rather not.
The new cable will run under the floor along the distance of two rooms before reaching the CU.
I'd like to think I can isolate the power completely if ever I (or anyone else for that matter) needs to work under the floor.

Full details here: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/illegal-cabling-and-strange-box.430930/page-6#3385607
(The last few posts about aeroplanes are quite interesting too!)

I expect to have an external meter and cut-out fitted, including an isolating switch - eventually! Is it possible to have these enclosed within a lockable box?
It's just that I'm a little concerned that, one day, one of the passing 'gentlemen' on the way back from the pub might see it and decide to turn off my supply for a little joke! :eek:
Normally meter boxes are opened using a simple "key" with a triangular depression that turns a triangluar protrusion on the meter box.

So while anyone who plans in advance to go out and mess with meter boxes could easilly do so your average drunk is unlikely to be carrying a meter box key.

Tampering is an interesting situation. I would suggest it depends more upon the location.
The patch I cover possbly sees 2 or 3 cases a year and then where the box door is damaged.
Even Manchester sees not much more so I would not class it as a serious risk

What about a lockable isolator? Leave the meter box unlocked (openable with the utility key) so meter readers etc can get in, but lock the isolator in the ON position. Can also be locked in the off position if anyone is working and has it isolated.

What about a lockable isolator? Leave the meter box unlocked (openable with the utility key) so meter readers etc can get in, but lock the isolator in the ON position. Can also be locked in the off position if anyone is working and has it isolated.
That's a good idea. I'll ask when they (eventually) stir themselves and begin the work.

(To be fair, though, it's not the DNO. Apparently, it's the subcontractors who will be doing the internal work.)

Normally meter boxes are opened using a simple "key" with a triangular depression that turns a triangluar protrusion on the meter box.

So while anyone who plans in advance to go out and mess with meter boxes could easilly do so your average drunk is unlikely to be carrying a meter box key.
That's true. Our gas meter box has a similar key (as I think they all do) and no-one's turned our gas off yet.

Tampering is an interesting situation. I would suggest it depends more upon the location.
The patch I cover possbly sees 2 or 3 cases a year and then where the box door is damaged.
Even Manchester sees not much more so I would not class it as a serious risk
Yes, I'm probably worrying about nothing. Unfortunately, though, our road is a main thoroughfare for drunks returning from the pub. There's usually a trail of empty burger boxes and the like to show where they've been!

The isolator will probably have to be a switchfuse, or a switch followed by a fuse.

Can you get lockable ones which will fit into a meter cabinet, or will a separate enclosure alongside it be needed?

Any customer's switchgear should be in a seperate location from the cut-out/meter/isolator.
it can either be inside the property or in an adjacent meter cabinet, though this could have a seperate lock fitted

Any customer's switchgear should be in a seperate location from the cut-out/meter/isolator.
it can either be inside the property or in an adjacent meter cabinet, though this could have a seperate lock fitted
I apologise, but I'm not too sure about the terms 'switchgear' and 'isolator'.
Is it possible to have an isolator switch - one that I can operate if need be - in an external box, whereas the meter and consumer unit remain in the original position indoors?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back