Relocation of new main supply outside with white cabinet

The isolator (switch which is switchgear) would normally be positioned between the meter and CU so that you may change the CU tails if the need arises.
You cannot/should not touch the meter terminals which would be required with the isolator between the main fuse and meter.

Sponsored Links
An isolator between the fuse and the meter would make electricity theft very easy.

Is it possible to have an isolator switch - one that I can operate if need be - in an external box, whereas the meter and consumer unit remain in the original position indoors?
If you mean after the main fuse and before the meter, no.

If you mean between the meter and the CU, yes, but why put that outside?

Sponsored Links
JB, there are lots of options for locking off an isolator.

Any customer's switchgear should be in a seperate location from the cut-out/meter/isolator.
He doesn't want anything in the enclosure apart from cutout, meter, and isolator.
Is that not all the OP wants in the enclosure? I was wondering whether westie was saying that a DNO might object to a (customer's) isolator being on their board?

Kind Regards, John

"a seperate location from the cut-out/meter/isolator" means that one location contains the cut-out/meter/isolator, so I don't see that as something objected to.

IME, no. ENWL (who westie works for) object to the consumer having their board in the external cabinet, but there are 1000's of homes built and wired like that, with typically a Wylex 3036 board inside.

Whenever I have carried out a board change like this, I have put the CU back to back with the meter cabinet.
The isolator, however, is usually placed inside the meter cabinet.

"a seperate location from the cut-out/meter/isolator" means that one location contains the cut-out/meter/isolator, so I don't see that as something objected to.
I know, but I was a bit confused by the fact that westie made that comment given that the OP did not appear to be proposing anything beyond "cut-out/meter/isolator".

Kind Regards, John

I got the impression that the meter to CU tails would be over 3m, so would need a customer's switchgear to reduce their length.

Yes here in the 6th post in reply to BAS
The new cable will run under the floor along the distance of two rooms before reaching the CU.
I'd like to think I can isolate the power completely if ever I (or anyone else for that matter) needs to work under the floor.

I got the impression that the meter to CU tails would be over 3m, so would need a customer's switchgear to reduce their length. Yes here in the 6th post in reply to BAS
The new cable will run under the floor along the distance of two rooms before reaching the CU. I'd like to think I can isolate the power completely if ever I (or anyone else for that matter) needs to work under the floor.
Yes, you're right. I had forgotten that, not helped by the fact that nearly all the subsequent posts just talked about an "isolator", and the one post which mentioned the probable need for a switch-fuse didn't seem to get any responses or acknowledgement.

That obviously creates more of a problem. If, as westie suggests might be the case, the DNO would not be happy with a switch-fuse in the cut-out/meter cabinet, there would presumably be no option but to mount some other external cabinet or enclosure for it close to the meter cabinet - unless one stretched the rules a little and had it just inside the house (but that may be difficult, judging by the OP's description of the route).

The other thing I'm wondering is whether there would still be a requirement to fuse-protect >3m 'tails' if they were SWA and/or run in steel conduit? ... not something I've ever really thought about (or had to think about)!

Kind Regards, John

As it is their requirement, I do not see why the DNO should object to the switchfuse in their cabinet nor do I see why SWA would make a difference.

Would a fuse still be required if SWA was used? Or conduit? I think I'd prefer the latter whatever, if the tails were running under the floor. And then I'd not see the need for an isolator to protect anybody working under the floor (always a pretty marginal need anyway, IMO).

As it is their requirement, I do not see why the DNO should object to the switchfuse in their cabinet ...
Nor do I, but westie seemed to imply that they might object.
... nor do I see why SWA would make a difference.
The DNOs' apparent "~3m rule" presumably exists because of concerns about possible faults arising in 'tails' protected only by the cut-out fuse. If that is the case, then one might imagine that adequate protection of the cable (steel conduit, or possibly the armour of SWA) would be enough to alleviate their concerns. I further imagine that the 'rule' only really serves to reduce the hassle for them in (very rarely) having to attend to replace a blown cut-out fuse, given that the fuse in a switch-fuse will often be as large as, or not much smaller than, the cut-out fuse (i.e. the cable won't be much/any better protected, even if there is a switch-fuse).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back