Mono pitch roof and window cill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm changing flat roof over my kitchen to pitched as it leaking and wanted to know how much I need to leave above to top of the wall bearer to allow for battens, tiles and flashing.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You'll need to show two courses of brick above the rafter. This will mean that the flashing will have to be chased under the window sill and is best done prior to fitting any rafters.

Would just like to say that changing to a pitched roof isn't the only solution to a leaking roof, why not re-cover the existing roof

Sponsored Links
Thanks all

Wall is rendered, so I'll measure down for the chase

I put in full plans to change main house roof to pitched, as well as kitchen. Did think about a rubber roof over the kitchen, but decided to stick with pitched

You'll need to show two courses of brick above the rafter. This will mean that the flashing will have to be chased under the window sill and is best done prior to fitting any rafters.

Will be flashing actually sit under the window chill?

The flashing can go direct under the cill as can the tiles.

Flashing only goes 150 up a wall as a splash guard. You don't need this if the cill and frame perform this function.

Timber bearer fixed to wall 160mm down from the window cill.

I've used temp fixings at the moment, what is the norm to use? Through bolts?

Upon removing bricks etc, the flat roof joist was rotten

Attachments

• IMG_3142.JPG
    IMG_3142.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 269
OP,
Use Expansion Anchor Bolts (a kind of lag bolt).

Pre-do all maintenance above the new roof before the roof is fixed in place.
eg. guttering, tiles, painting etc

Timber bearer fixed to wall 160mm down from the window cill.
I take it your rafters are butting against your pole plate and not sitting on top? Have you left it long enough so that some of the gable masonry will catch it?

I've used temp fixings at the moment, what is the norm to use? Through bolts?
Temporarily fix it with 100mm - 6's screws. Once your rafters are in place use sleeve anchors. You don't want the headache of your protruding sleeve anchor studs clashing with the rafter ends.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back