monobloc tap fitting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I have just tried to replace the tap in my kitchen sink and all went well until I tried to connect the tails to the water supply. The old tails had a female screw compression fitting and the new ones have a male compression fitting. I have been to B & Q, homebase and Wickes to try to buy a 15mm female x female compression coupling but none were to be had at any of these. Can someone give me any idea how I could fit these new tails.

Sponsored Links
Hi, the old tail has a female nut that screws onto a male fitting but the new one has a male fitting on the end, here is a photo.
GALLERY]

the old ones would of connected to something like an isolation valve.

800px-Compression_fitting_isolating.jpg

to connect the new ones you'll need a length of copper pipe in the isolation valve to the new compression flexis.

you can take the iso valve off and fit the new compression straight to the pipework but it's handy to keep iso valves in the pipework for later on.

Sponsored Links
Seco, just for the record it's bad practice to have a rubber washer of a flexi tight onto the chamfered edge of the 1/2 inch male thread of a compression fitting.

Supposed to be a 1/2" iron with a flat face, not the compression nut& olive side.

But have to confess I have shamefully done it on some occasions....

Hi, Thanks for that but as I am a complete novice I am not sure what you mean, is it possible to post a picture of the set up you are talking about on the 1/2" iron with a flat face. You are quite right the old tail was fitted to an isolation valve and I did think about taking it off but as you say it can be handy to have this. I'd rather go the other way.
thanks for the help, its much appreciated.

all you need now is another nut/olive fit that to the isolation valve with
a section of copper pipe, then fit your new flexi to the copper pipe.

this is a male iron elbow
you'll notice the end of the thread is flat as the iso valve has a chamfered edge for the olive to fit.
which can damage rubber seals of flexis if tightened to much.

in your case won't matter as you have no need o use them on the new tap.
imagesCAVDMG3O.jpg

Hi, Thanks very much for that, I'm off to get my pipe and nuts and olives and I'm sure all will be fitted soon.
Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back