More door security questions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I need your kind advice on three doors in terms of maximising security (one timber front, one upvc side and one upvc rear).

Starting with the front timber door. At the moment it has one crappy latch like this

2012-11-27182226.jpg

A chubb lock at the bottom like this (is this a 5 point mortice lock?)

2012-11-27180552.jpg

2012-11-27180604.jpg

And hinges like this

2012-11-27180648.jpg

My plan with this door is

1) Replace that lower chubb lock with a 5 point mortice lock (if it isn't already one!)

2) Fit a London bar

3) Fit a Birmingham bar

4) Fit a lock guard.

5) I suppose a metal grill will have to be fitted across the glazed portion even though they look ugly.

Money no object, is there anything else you guys would recommend?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Replace the yale for a British standard night latch like this although others are available...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/yale-bs-night-latch-brass-60mm-backset/88810

The lower chubb is already a 5 lever but can't tell whether its a B/S, for what they cost its worthwhile checking and replacing just to make sure.

The glass is your main weak point but if you fit the yale lock above and double lock it when you leave it doesn't matter if an un desirable breaks it and tries to unlock it........it won't! Also good for when you go bed at night.

The rest i'd say you were spot on with

Thanks Crank.

This is the second door, it is on the side of the property. It is quite old and doesn't look very secure. It will get removed/replaced later next year but is it possible to do anything to make it more secure in the meantime?

2012-11-27180423.jpg

There are two of these

2012-11-27180439.jpg

I used to fit some of these upvc doors and I know how to break into them, I have find a temporary solution which is quite effective, I have made a T-piece slide over the door handle and a length of pipe touching the floor level, once I busted the lock I cannot open the door handle! The picture is plastic but I've made one for my mother out of 22mm copper pipe from plumbing stuff, not cheap but it's a piece of mind, the plastic overflow pipe is strong so I can't see why not. I was also interested in this product but they are not around as they are not answering email or phone :cry: http://hendolock.co.uk/home.html

21.5mm%20t%20piece.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks Masona, that's a novel idea!

Thanks Herts, any particular make or specification of heavy duty hinges?

Cheers

5) I suppose a metal grill will have to be fitted across the glazed portion even though they look ugly.
I repair and make stained glass windows as a hobby, for extra strength on the glass you can have the lead window fitted inside the double glazed unit by putting in a wider internal frame around the existing window opening, not impossible but can be done. It breaks my heart when people are ripping the stained glass door out considering people are paying high price for these type of door. The other way is a small timber frame screws to the internal door and fit a 1 piece toughen glass so will act as a double glazed unit.

I have put in a stained glass inside the double glazed on my front door and above the fanlight

Thanks Andy

Masona, I have no intention of ripping out the stained glass windows mate.
I'm going to have all my stained glass units 'refurbed'. I'm actually going to be using something called 'future units'

http://www.stainedglasslondon.com/page/future_units

With these future units the existing frame is routed to accept a new double glazed unit with the original stained glass sort of sandwiched in between. I've seen samples and they look really good.

It's going to cost me a fair amount of money but there is no way I'm going to lose the character of the house however I do need better security and insulation. Future units seem to be the best compromise.

When I get time tomorrow I'll post some pics of my stained glass windows, they aren't that elaborate but I'm very proud of them.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back