More guidance from the ESC on domestic PIR's

Sponsored Links
I've not read it yet, so this isn't a comment on how good it is, but for those who don't know the Electrical Safety Council is NICEIC...

so a 'visual condition report', whatever that is, doesn't require testing according to the nic....sorry ESC.

page 1 , 1.3. ...and testing if included on the order form....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this the £50 'drive-byes' i have been reading about?

Wonder if they will count for HIPS later?

Sponsored Links
so a 'visual condition report', whatever that is, doesn't require testing according to the nic....sorry ESC.

Dont write them off too easily, they are a usful tool, most of the time most of the defects identified in a PIR would be picked up on an inspection (I agree not all though) and can give a very good idea of the general standard of an installation

Dont write them off too easily, they are a usful tool, most of the time most of the defects identified in a PIR would be picked up on an inspection (I agree not all though) and can give a very good idea of the general standard of an installation

Agree - a larger percentage of time should be spent INSPECTING an installation than TESTING it.

Agree - a larger percentage of time should be spent INSPECTING an installation than TESTING it.

That was in essence the point that was running through my head as I wrote that, though I tried to stop short of going on too much :LOL:

70% inspection / 30% testing is the balance thats often recommended, but its hard to sudge exactly, becuase you generally do a fair bit of the inspection while you are testing

In simple terms, there no point blindly filling in every box on a circuit schedule on a commericial PIR, if it then leaves you no time to find the unenclosed connector block above a ceiling tile, and the burnt lug in the busbar chamber ;)

I agree whole heartedly with what Adam and Ricicle have said. There is far too much emphasis put on instrument test results and paperwork during pirs. You can fill the form in with boxes ticked and test results logged but without a thorough inspection some real horrors can be there that arent picked up by test instruments. Functional testing is also very important.
It is becoming increasingly popular for commercial premesis to have an annual visual inspection along with the usual 5 yearly pir. I have done quite a lot of these and I find as many code 1 and code2 defects doing this as I do during a pir.
Here is a photo of something I found during an annual inspection, the circuit was running as normal, surprisingly no external smell of burning, only found by opening the enclosure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back