More loft electrics - testing?

D

Deleted2797112

Continuing my tour of the loft lifting the insulation prior to topping up, tidying up cables and connections etc. I've just taken up some insulation and found these two conduit boxes. I think they shouldn't be like this? but not sure how to test them then deal with them - the white cylindrical caps look like they might be ceramic but as it's dark now, I can't turn the power off to touch them tonight.

View media item 55645
In this first image, there are two red wires capped together and underneath I think a blue and a red in another cap (can't see the underneath one clearly at the moment and don't want to touch tonight). I have a Draper VT1 tester but unsure how to go about testing these as I've not come across these caps before. Do I turn off the power, remove the cap, put the two wires into separate terminals in a connector block, turn the power back on and test them in the block? Then repeat for the blue and red in the second cap?

Assuming these are live, how shiould I deal with them in the conduit box - leave them on connector blocks, or put the caps back on or something else? As I go round I'm cleaning out the conduit boxes as none have lids and they're full of dust, cobwebs and insulation. I've got new lids but am having trouble sourcing screws to fit the lugs of the boxes as they're imperial size but it's my intention that they will all have lids and they will all be left clear with no insulation over them.

This is the second one:

View media item 55646
Similar issue with how to test and make it safe - you can see the muck in this one.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
looks like a twist connector to me. shuld just twist off anti clockwise. you could replace them with some wago connectors from screwfix. why not consider tapping existing condit boxes to METRIC and get some pins from wholesaler?
You should be able to source the pins for them though.

They are (were) called 'screwits'

It's a twist on ceramic connector.

Some of that wiring looks quite old, and the conduit looks quite rusty, which isn't good as it looks like you're relying on that for your earth. It would be worth having it inspected to make sure it's still safe to remain in service.

Sponsored Links
I use the modern version of the screwits called twisters made by Ideal industries, i find them excellent for certain jobs and they do make a good secure connection.

Ive also just become a convert to the WAGO connectors and the WagoBox enclosure so much easier than a conventional junction box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back