Running an extra neutral core to a light switch

TWhy? So I can control it via a home automation device. Or my phone. Or just because I can.. any of the above.
Fair enough - just so long as you have thought about it, and do realise that it's an unnecessarily complicated and expensive solution looking for a problem, but don't care.

Sponsored Links
I'm amazed it took to page 2 for that to be suggested. Definitely what I'd be doing too. If it's 1 1/2" capping it should be a doddle

Sponsored Links
A 3 core+E will go through capping very easily, assuming no obstructions.

I've often had to do this when converting the switching to 2 way. And yes, someone should have mentioned this earlier!

Missed that, but with the ol' earth twist I don't really think it's a risk. More likely than ramming a N+E down there

Absolutely.

By tying the earth wires together, and neatly snipping off the other cores.

You would need to make the knot smaller than the cables.

Then tape up the knot so the join becomes about the same thickness of the two cable sheaths.

In other words, so there are no areas sticking out, and no skinny areas eithers.

This should mean the cable shouldn't get stuck in the capping.

Once you have tied and taped it, you could try just a smear of washing up liquid to help things, but usually this isn't needed, and it can end up everywhere.

Last edited:
It's not exactly what you said.

I have elaborated on it to describe to the op how to go about doing it.

After all, we don't want the op to get the cable stuck, do we?

We should always try to give full advice to the op, and not expect him to know everything.

It's not exactly what you said.

I have elaborated on it to describe to the op how to go about doing it.

After all, we don't want the op to get the cable stuck, do we?

We should always try to give full advice to the op, and not expect him to know everything.
Sorry that was a joke! I thought the emoticons would give it away, but apparently not. Apologies

Just the earth? I've been pulling cables through capping all day today on a rewire, I strip all the wires back to copper and fold them in half with pliers, then tape. The join is still smaller than the outer, and far less risk of stretching the conductors as they are all pulled together. For heavier things like bonding cables and so on which have stranded conductors, making it off the same way as you would do a catenary wire (with only a fold at the end not a full loop round) makes an immensely strong mechanical joint, no tape required.

Just the earth? I've been pulling cables through capping all day today on a rewire, I strip all the wires back to copper and fold them in half with pliers, then tape. The join is still smaller than the outer, and far less risk of stretching the conductors as they are all pulled together. For heavier things like bonding cables and so on which have stranded conductors, making it off the same way as you would do a catenary wire (with only a fold at the end not a full loop round) makes an immensely strong mechanical joint, no tape required.

Sometimes I use all three conductors - it varies depending on what I think I can get away with!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back