Running an extra neutral core to a light switch

I dont want to risk trying to pull up the existing cable to feed up a three core cable.. (im not sure if its clipped behind the capping but i suspect so..), and dont want to re-channel and plaster the wall..

I always work top down as you then have gravity working with you.

Always a first time, but I have never seen clipping and capping together, either one or the other.

Sponsored Links
Somewhat off the practical subject of getting an extra wire to a switch location, but with the increasing use of "exotic" light switches, over here the NEC now requires that a neutral be provided in every switch box for new work.

Somewhat off the practical subject of getting an extra wire to a switch location, but with the increasing use of "exotic" light switches, over here the NEC now requires that a neutral be provided in every switch box for new work.

I thought it was almost a automatic certainty to have a neutral in a switch box in the US. I understood that due to the use of both combined power and lighting circuits as well as stud wall construction. That the socket radial was just taken to the switch box and the neutrals would be twisted and have a scru-it /wire nut on the end? I thought three plating at the fitting or a joint box was something that they'd consider very bizzare over there?

Sponsored Links
I thought three plating at the fitting or a joint box was something that they'd consider very bizzare over there?
Not at all. Looping power through the switch and just having a single cable up to the light is common enough, for the reasons you mentioned, but you'll find plenty of loop-in wiring at the light with a single switch drop cable as well, depending upon physical layout and circuit arrangements.

Our present home was built in 1991 and is wired with power looped at each switch, with the exception of a couple of separate 3-core (plus ground) cables for 3-way (U.K. 2-way) switching. Our last place was built in 1977, and I found that the majority was "3-plate" method (although that's not a term which would be understood here).

The NEC requirement to provide a neutral at every switch location was introduced only in the 2011 edition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back