More questions re my boiler

VP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again

I just had a heating engineer to look at my boiler (Worcestor Bosch 230). He seemed very good but I just had some follow on questions from his visit...

1) The boiler just needed to be reset as the ignition switch had gone out when it overheated due to the low pressure, so he switched it back on again & it then it ignited & now seems to work at least :D I'm not sure if it's OK to just leave it now??

2) He said I needed a new divertor valve as the old one was not working properly (not allowing hot water form taps to heat up properly) - I have noticed that my hot water is not that hot recently. What should the estimate for a new one be?

3) The water rattling noise is still there - he said it was heat exchange scaling etc and I would have to drain and descale to get rid of that - what should estimate be for that work?? Do you have to be proper engineer to do that or not? Just cos someone at work did that himself.

4) He was suggesting I might be better of getting brand new condensing boiler - I don't think this is an option for me as there's no way I can afford it :( But what would be the cheapest I can get completely new boiler?

Thanks! VP

Sponsored Links
ive been having a similar problem with my halstead combi.... keeps locking out on both dhw and ch. replaced thermistas worked fine ferra week now even worse... let me know how you get on with replies diagnostics etc....

btw B&Q have an offer on a biasi condensing boiler. Hung 1 and ran allo the water last week... (cant touch flue or gas as not corgi) Think the client payed summat like £400.00 for boiler and flue kit... which is ridiculously low.

Ask round as to wheter Biasi are reliable etc as the corgi fella i share work with doesnt like em. I had 1 in my old house (a combi) and worked fine for the 5 years i was in there.

Sponsored Links
Biasi's are WAY better than Ideal mate! Probably not the best boiler in the world, but Ideal are my most hated model other than Saunier Duval / C&M.

The £400 Biasi in B&Q at the min is Sedbuk B rated, they're OK. Don't know about the new a rated one coming out soon.

VP: As to your 2nd point, this sounds more like a scaled DHW heat exchanger to me. Your man may have incorrectly diagnosed the diverter. I would get someone to descale the h/e, and then if still problems look at the diverter. Descaling isn't really a job for a DIY person, as you are dealing with acid chemicals and hot water. I'd ring a boiler engineer.

New boiler is hard to estimate without knowing your setup. Personally I install Vaillants, which for a condensing 30kw boiler & flue won't give you much change from £1000 (boiler only). cheaper boilers are available, but you get what you pay for.

If its a straight swap with a place for the condensate drain to go to reasonably close to the boiler, nice 22mm gas pipe nearby and a room stat & TRV's already there then you should be able to get the labour for between £700 - £950 with powerflush depending on geographical location. Unless you live in a rich Surrey village with only 1 plumber who can charge whatever he wants...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back