More starbucks trivia (If only)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been sent this no proof of its veracity ~ but they're getting none of my custom.
Starbucks paid zero UK corporation or income tax in the last 3 years.

The world's biggest coffee chain recorded sales of £3.1 billion over a period of 13 years during which it paid £8.6 million on total UK taxes.

Think that's bad? How about this;

Recently, British Royal Marines in Afghanistan wrote to Starbucks because they wanted to let them know how much they liked their coffees, and to request that they send some of it to the troops there.

Starbucks replied, telling the Royal Marines thank you for their support of their business, but that Starbucks does not support the war, nor anyone in it, and that they would not send the troops their brand of coffee.

So as not to offend Starbucks, maybe we should support them by NOT buying any of their products!

I feel we should get this out in the open. I know this war might not be very popular with some folks, but that doesn't mean we don't support the boys on the ground, fighting street-to-street and, house-to-house.

Thanks very much for your support. I know you'll all be there again to support us when we deploy once more.

Sgt Howard Wright,
1 Platoon, Recon Company, Royal Marines

Also, please don't forget that when the Twin Trade Towers were hit, the fire fighters and rescue workers went to Starbucks because it was close by, for water for the survivors and workers, and Starbucks CHARGED THEM!!!

AN ADDED NOTE TO THIS: STARBUCKS HAD STORES ON SEVERAL MILITARY BASES IN THE UNITED STATES. THEY ARE NOW BEING REMOVED BECAUSE OF THIS.

There are 227 Starbucks stores across the UK, and there's no doubt that our soldiers would get the same response from this company, so let us do our bit and boycott Starbucks to show them how despicable their actions are.

When the Underground was bombed in London , the Marks and Spencer's store at Edgware Road gave all the stock away to those in need. Perhaps you might care to get your coffee in there instead!

Sponsored Links
Did you receive this as an email sent by a friend? Did it also have a link on it telling you to click this immediately? Did it also tell you to forward it to at least 20 of your friends within 20 minutes , or else a Guatemalan street urchin would be shot ?
Hmmmmmm Sounds like spam. ;) ;) ;)

Starbucks has paid corporation tax every single year.

Just not in the UK, don't like it, tough ****, this is the single market.

It is designed so that a company can set up it's head office in any European state, sell across Europe, and only pay corporation tax in the county it is incorporated in.

Gasbanni is a gullible fool.

The people in charge must be having a laugh, actually getting us to protest for MORE tax not less. :LOL:

Just not in the UK, don't like it, tough s**t, this is the single market.

It is designed so that a company can set up it's head office in any European state, sell across Europe, and only pay corporation tax in the county it is incorporated in.

The people in charge must be having a laugh, actually getting us to protest for MORE tax not less. :LOL:

That's not how it works.

Next you'll be telling us that companies don't pay tax the employees pay the tax. which means that Starbucks UK employees must get paid more as they don't pay corporation tax.

Hang on you already have!

Now what was it you were saying about fools ......

Sponsored Links

Just not in the UK, don't like it, tough s**t, this is the single market.

That's not how it works.

Err, that's exactly how it works, and instead of (again) name calling, why don't you actually provide some evidence for once, or is that beyond your abilities?

I provided plenty of evidence that corporation tax incidence falls upon workers, shareholders and customers, you provided.........

Oh yea, nothing but hot air and name calling.

8)

The single market (you know the EU), is about the ability to have one base for your company, anywhere in the EU, and sell to anywhere in the EU. Starbucks are using this system to shift costs about their EU network, and shift the profits to another EU state.

They are using the system as it was designed.

It's just that now people are starting to realise it wasnt a particularly "good" design.

One idea to fix this is unitary taxation, the idea that if 20% of sales are made in the UK, then 20% of global profits should be taxed in the UK.

might be a bad idea, dunno, but the idea that we can stop companies using the EU taxation system as designed by another 1000 pages of tax law, haw haw haw.

As I said, that's not how it works.

Starbucks is also incorporated in the UK, it fills in a UK tax return every year, and calculates corporation tax due.

In fact if you check companies house it shows:

Name & Registered Office:
STARBUCKS COFFEE COMPANY (UK) LIMITED
BUILDING 4
CHISWICK PARK CHISWICK HIGH ROAD
LONDON
UNITED KINGDOM
W4 5YE
Company No. 02959325

It just doesn't make a profit in the UK. It's got nothing to do with where the company is incorporated, it is all to do with where profits are booked.

Now instead of throwing insults, why not ask the question 'How does it work then?'

You would learn something and your dreadful reputation on here would be enhanced. Got to be a good idea, eh?

As I said, that's not how it works.

So despite the fact I say it is how it is working, despite the fact this is what these companies are actually doing, you just state "it's not how it is", ok dude, ok.

amazon said:
Amazon, told parliamentarians that its low British corporate-tax bill—£1.8m in 2011—was due to its British operations merely providing back-office services to its main Europe-wide business, which is based in low-tax Luxembourg.

starbucks said:
it admits to having negotiated a secret low rate of tax with the Dutch taxman for its subsidiary in Amsterdam. Worldwide, it says it pays out over 30% of its profits in tax

"The company continues to make losses by purchasing the coffee beans from its Swiss subsidiary at a 20% premium. It then pays a 4.7% levy to its Dutch offices for the coffee roasting process, the recipes and the use of the Starbucks brand. The firm can then pay lower rates of corporation tax on its profits, including 12% in Switzerland."

google said:
Most of Google’s revenues in Europe are booked in Dublin, then shifted via royalty payments to a Dutch subsidiary

So yea, just as I said, they are shifting their monies around the European offices, so that they can declare profits in the EU countries with lower tax, you know, using the EU tax system as it was designed.

Starbucks is also incorporated in the UK, it fills in a UK tax return every year, and calculates corporation tax due.

"STARBUCKS COFFEE COMPANY (UK) LIMITED "

pay attention.

It just doesn't make a profit in the UK.

Yes, because it shifts it's profits to other EU countries, as I said and proved.

Now instead of throwing insults

Pot kettle.

I don't bother playing nice cus you all name call me :cry:

Seriously, it seems to bother you, I don't mind this is just my internet persona.

But it seems to bother you, so why start it?

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. :mrgreen:

What you said is factually incorrect, nothing to discuss, you got it wrong.

As this is going to be another circular argument I shall leave you alone now.

I'm not sure you could call it a circular argument, I provide explanations and facts (quotes from articles you can easily google).

You just say "your wrong".

Bit of a one horse race to call it a circular argument.

Starbugs makes £1 000 000 000 profit. Declares that profit out of its head office in UK, with 20% (say) corporation tax. Tax paid - £200 million.

Alternatively,

Starbugs makes £1 000 000 000 profit. Declares head office as ROI, for instance. Starbugs (UK) pays a royalty for image rights or whatever to head office, of £500 million.
Starbugs (UK) therefore makes £500 million profit, and pays £100 million tax.
Starbugs (ROI) makes £500 million profit, but only pays tax at 10% - tax paid, £50 million. Total tax paid - £150 million.

Is that how it works?

It's more than just about where they declare their head office, though that plays a part in it, the head office thing is more relevant to google and amazon.

What Starbucks is basically doing is buying the ingredients from it's Switzerland subsidy at hugely inflated costs.

Then paying a royalty to it's Dutch office.

This means that on paper that Starbucks UK makes no money (as it's "costs" are so high).

Instead the Switz and Dutch offices make the profit (at lower corporation tax).

The ability to shift around costs and profits like this is all structured in the EU single market system.

It's why some people want to shift to unitary taxation, but that is not allowed in the EU (and I am not arguing for it myself, just saying).

Did you receive this as an email sent by a friend? Did it also have a link on it telling you to click this immediately? Did it also tell you to forward it to at least 20 of your friends within 20 minutes , or else a Guatemalan street urchin would be shot ?
Hmmmmmm Sounds like spam. ;) ;) ;)

email yes, rest of it no !

Glad to say that I have never set foot over the threshold of Starsucks. Only been to Costalot twice, because we had a couple of free vouchers through the door.

Never understand why the Brits are happy to be lead by the nose by big multinationals. Use some saturation advertising, add some hype and the Brits are in there getting all they can.

Cigarettes used to be everywhere, and were well advertised at one time. So, a large part of the population got hooked to the big tobacco cos. wares and were rarely without a cig in their hands. Times change, but now everyone's wandering around with a cup of stupendously expensive and often unhealthy coffee. Some of the coffees have enough calories and fat to qualify as a dessert.

Went past my local Costalot the other day, and their A-board advertising sign outside was encouraging people to 'get into the Christmas spirit' by buying a salted caramel latte. Think I would heave if I tasted one of these 'seasonal' concoctions.

Slighty off topic. Rant over. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back