Mortar Mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I can see there are lots of threads on Mortar but I couldn't see any which fully answered my questions.

I am looking to patch up some brickwork in a fireplace in a 1926 house, I have gently wire brushed the face of the bricks and can with certainty say the mortar is lime based as quite soft.

As this is a small job I am looking to possibly use Blue Circle Quality Assured Mortar which comes in a 5kg tub and is described as follows "Ready to use mortar mix, just add water. Suitable for brickwork, block and stone work re-pointing and patching. Lime additive allows excellent workability. Can be mixed in the tub. High quality 6.1.1 formulation."

Questions:

I have seen ratios written as 1.1.6 and 6.1.1 I take it its a given the 6 is the sand so the lime and cement content must be 1 a piece?

I don't mind that this is probably considered as a weak mix and probably seems more appropriate considering the age of the property and that the existing mortar is very soft, However, open to advice and if anyone can suggest a better ready mixed 'just add water' alternative that is available in small 5kg-10kg quantities I am all ears?

Cheers,

Ant

Sponsored Links
It’ll be fine unless you’re bothered about the final colour ie if it’s going to be on display. Don’t think there’s much to choose from between ready mixes as hardly anyone uses them apart from tiny patching jobs

If it were mine I would use lime - I'd never be happy with the finish from the cement based mortar you're proposing to use.
My suggestion would be to buy a tub of lime putty, and mix it with sand. No cement. Lime putty keeps forever in the tub, improves with age, so don't worry about having some leftover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back