Moss removal by hand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to find someone to remove serious roof moss from our house but without a pressure washer as this can damage the tiles. I'm struggling to find a company who doesn't use a pressure washer. We are in Bucks. Can anyone recommend somebody or point me in the right direction please?

Sponsored Links
I was recently watching some interesting vids on u-tube about moss removal. Perhaps you would care to have a look at them and compare with your situation?

Hello. I had a look at the videos but we are not confident doing the removal ourselves.

I have managed to get a quote from a roofing company but was a little shocked to be told it would cost £700. Does this sound correct? We have a 3 bed semi with a small ground floor extension on back and porch roof on front. Price includes anti moss treatment at end.

£700 may sound excessive but not if its going to take 2 men a couple of days.

Get another couple of quotes and be prepared to repeat every few years.

Sponsored Links
Ours is so bad it's dropping off onto the patio and all over the place making it hard to use our garden. Every time we clear the patio the moss is back from the roof within the day. We're hoping that if we clear it we can never let it get to this state again.

I also thought it was bad to have too much moss on a roof. Is this untrue?

It can cause problems if it blocks up valleys, gutters etc.

More of a nuisance value than anything on the main roof...as you know.

Scrape it off and treat with fungicidal wash and you will have a clear patio for a year or 2. but it will come back. make sure they clear the gutters afterwards.

Maybe it's new thread time but a solution that does work well is MMC Pro.....
Having brushed my roof clear, it's MMC time plus maybe some copper flashing stuck into an upper tile course.
John :)

Maybe it's new thread time but a solution that does work well is MMC Pro.....
Having brushed my roof clear, it's MMC time plus maybe some copper flashing stuck into an upper tile course.
John :)

Looks like good stuff, bit pricey though.

Ree,dan and greenpeace wont like it! the squirrels you see. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back