1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

most cost effective and highest performance method of building an extension

Discussion in 'Building' started by magicnumber7, 5 Dec 2020.

1. magicnumber7

magicnumber7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Expert or non-expert views welcome!

Being in the midst of building an extension on our house, I'm perhaps naturally thinking about how I would do it differently next time. Particularly about how to get the best bang for your buck on the build.

The current extension is pretty standard 300mm cavity walls with rendered block on the inside leaf and a mix of rendered block and facing bricks on the outside, cavity has 100mm thermal Rockwool. Trench fill foundations 600 wide and 1100 deep. Steel everywhere (it's a wrap around extension). All fine, but just more expensive than I think it could be.

Anyways, your advice in thinking about the next job is welcome :)

2. johnny2007

johnny2007

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Was the steel to structural engineer spec or the architect just threw it in?
    In the years I found out that many times you don't need steel, but it seems to have become popular amongst designers.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Ian H

Ian H

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I don’t like open plan so guess that would make any structural alterations cheaper.

5. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Use a different designer next time

6. Sponsored Links
  7. 23vc

23vc

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Do you have a breakdown of costs? I doubt there’s a fundamentally much cheaper version of the construction techniques you describe otherwise everyone wouldn’t be doing it

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local