Most unusal thing found in a wall

Sponsored Links
The power module was a large transformer and the rectifiers were either copper oxide or selenuim with plates about a foot square.

The demolition people recognised the incoming cable as military and found its general direction buried across a field and the nearby military establishment had the other end. A notice on the MEM box instructed it was not to be turned off but no (accessable) records of where it went had been kept.

The location was on the Essex coast and the belief is it was a covert radio station or similar giving the appearance of a cottage for a farm worker to all but the most invasive enquiry.

Very interesting.

How did they isolate the power after demolition? Short the wires out?

wrapped it in insulating tape and buried it, I bet :LOL:

Some people would have used it as a free source of bootleg electricity.

Some of the "secret installation" supplies are deliberately not shown on network diagrams, and so are very likely to be forgotten about.

Sponsored Links
Crafty said:
Very interesting.

How did they isolate the power after demolition? Short the wires out?

From the mists of memory the MEM switch at the far end of the cable (in the power hut of the military base) was turned off for the first time since the war and I guess when no one complained it was removed.

As John mentioned the "secret installations" had some ingenious cover stories.

The most interesting wall I every had to chase out in a house appeared to be constructed of woven straw and plaster of paris. Getting decent fixings was a bit of a laff, I can tell you!

Happy easter

SB

sparkybird said:
The most interesting wall I every had to chase out in a house appeared to be constructed of woven straw and plaster of paris. Getting decent fixings was a bit of a laff, I can tell you!

Happy easter

SB

Wattle and Daub

Indeed ricicle, although I always get that word mixed up with woad - maybe it's wishful thinking about Mel Gibson!!

Hi Bernard,

All i can think about is what size the cable from the base to the cottage would be, how long the run was and what the volt drop was. Sad i know but do you remember any details like what the cable type was, fuse rating of the mem isolator etc?

All the best
Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back