Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2020-02-05 18.03.37.jpg
2020-02-05 18.03.57.jpg
IMG_20200203_130940876.jpg
2020-02-05 18.03.57.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sorry chaps ,just getting the hang of the image editor.
I need to know how to wire this .
It's a potential replacement candidate for a cement mixer.
I just want to see if it works before investing time and money in it.
The box has four terminals, diagonally numbered U1and U2 then 3 and four.
Also an earth post underneath.
I just want a 3core flex with 13a plug to assess it then decide further.
I can't find the OEM website for datasheet.

L&N to U1 and U2, earth to the earth post.

Motor very likely ok.
Capacitors possibly not.

Thanks for the swift reply,I know I should have start/run,I was hoping to get by by only starting on an empty drum.....
I'm guessing this will make the local power station grunt when I hit the button.
If it's running in the wrong direction,I just change the wires round on the U terminals?

Sponsored Links
If it's running in the wrong direction,I just change the wires round on the U terminals?

'Afraid not. This is an AC motor. Its a little more difficult than that. You have to change the relationship between the two windings & capacitors.

Lets see if it runs first... and which direction. Then we'll help you reverse it if needs be.

Will just add if you are going to power it up, bolt or strap it down securely first.

:LOL:Yes ,don't fancy being chased around the site.
I'll try it out and report back next week
Thanks for the assistance

Got it wired this morning on a temporary 4m length of 1.0mm flex.
It ran for a second then tripped a 16a breaker
Fuse in the plug was intact so tried again and it runs really well,cycling the socket switch on and off with no probs
I suspect the capacitors needed energising.

Aside getting a pulley to fit and a footplate adapter made up,I just need to reverse the rotation.
So.....?

I assume this runs through a gearbox and not just a belt drive direct to the drum?

To reverse the direction you need to identify the two start winding leads and the two run winding leads.
To change the direction swap ONE set of leads over and leave the other set as they are.
E.G. Identify the start leads, (they may be marked with a cable ferrule, this will make it easier), take the one off U1 and place to U2. Take the one from U2 and place it on U1

That's all you need to do to reverse the direction.

Thanks ,yes it goes though a 90 degree box reducing the 2800rpm down to around 40.
Sorry to be thick but any clue from the picture there are ferrules marked
I'm taking one wire from each pair?
Am I making this more complicated than it is...

Last edited:
Thanks ,yes it goes though a 90 degree box reducing the 2800rpm down to around 40.
Sorry to be thick but any clue from the picture there are ferrules marked
I'm taking one wire from each pair?
Am I making this more complicated than it is...

Sorry mate, only just seen this again.
Underneath the cappy cables you will see 4 cables with markers on them, (one of them looks like a Z2, bottom centre). Two of the motor cables look as though they are connected to the same post, bottom left.
You need to look at the two connected together and identify them. If one of them is marked as Z1 then swap it's position with that one marked Z2.
Do not change any other cables. Re-connect your cappy wires to the terminals they were on originally, (hope you marked them before removing), connect up your mains and it will now run in the opposite direction.
Let us all know how you get on.

uniquely mark each cable if they are not marked - before you do anything and make a drawing of how it is first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back