Motorbike front suspension adjustment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Faffing about with my latest toy, I notice that the spring pre load on the front forks only has an adjuster on the left one, whilst the damping and hydraulic rebound are only adjustable on the right fork....I’d have expected pre load especially to be on both fork legs?
Any comments anyone?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Faffing about with my latest toy, I notice that the spring pre load on the front forks only has an adjuster on the left one, whilst the damping and hydraulic rebound are only adjustable on the right fork....I’d have expected pre load especially to be on both fork legs?
Any comments anyone?

set up for speedway ? :LOL:

Ha! Yes, Eddie, very good!(y)
My own theory is that the forks are so large in diameter and rigid, only one needs adjustment but I haven’t a clue really.
Maybe Keith can comment.

My mountain bike forks are like that. I think it's quite common on mountain bikes (not sure about motorbikes). One is the spring, the other the damper. Counter-intuitive and to anyone with any kind of engineering empathy, downright offensive, but they seem to work fine like that!

Sponsored Links
You would think dropping the wheel into a pothole for example would give a tremendous shock load to the stronger spring.....I can’t see the logic in that!

What bike is it?, believe it or not some motorcycles have only one sprung fork!.

:eek: Really? That does make sense, actually.
The bike is a new Triumph Street triple R, 765cc, upside down forks.

All the Triumphs I've worked on have had both forks sprung, the front end is so stiff that preload adjustment on one side only won't be an issue.

Screenshot_20201117-132013_Samsung Internet.jpg

I know this thread is old, but the setup could be a cartridge fork, which have separate functions left and right.

Sponsored Links
Back